• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Europa with Mazda Rotary engine

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Meh... like door hinges. With sandpaper locating washers... THAT's an interesting li'l job. :devilgrin:

R6MGS said:
I was wondering....Given that this rotary has been sitting 4 years, should I do anything to it before attempting to start it other than I would do with a normal engine??

...ya don't wanna hear MY suggestion... :smirk:

Now that you're committed, treat it as you would any engine having sat dormant for a while. I'd toss some Marvel oil down th' plug hole(s) & turn it by hand a bit.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I've been tothe eruopa group, but need to find my yahoo I.D before I can register...Also found a site with a europa registry and alot of other info thats been very helpful.

Yeah Doc, I know....I am not crazy about rotary either, but worse case scenerio; It won't run and I have to find something else to drop in there.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've got manuals, parts books, tech bulletins, collections of "Re-marque" and "Lotus West" newsletters dating from "th' day". Along with having both sold 'em NEW and wrenching on them after that for a PA dealership. Just an FYI. :wink:

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Great too know....I am sure I'll have alot of questions/problems once I get into it.

R

RonMacPherson

Actually there is almost as large a "clan" of rotary fanatics are there are Lotus zealots.

Grassroots Motorsports did an article about installing a Mazda rotary(I still prefer Wankel design in cataloguing engine type) in a spitfire(I believe) several years ago. That article did include a number of references to rotary folks. Might wanna research that if you can.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm among th' zealots.

Good philosophy Ron. Give credit where it's due.

I'm Wankel ignorant. It's like MS Windblows to me: none of it should work! :jester:

R

RonMacPherson

Loti are fun, unfortunately I have grown too large to enjoy them.

First too tall, 6'3" so often had to make sure I was riding in a convertible, scrunched into a Super 7 for a couple of quickies around Sears Point once, that was fun inspite of the discomfort. Now I've added the girth to go with the height.

Worked at a 14 car line dealership where one of the lines was Lotus. One of the techs was a wannabe racer, because his brother had made the circuit(Forbes-Robinson) and we were out on a test drive(amazing how the sportier cars got driven longer on their test drives) in the 4 seater(which was the only Lotus that I could comfortably drive) when SOMETHING told me to stop, slammed on the brakes just as the upper third of a Eucalyptus tree dropped onto the pavement in front of us. If I hadn't locked(almost anyway) them up it would have crashed onto our roof.

My friend and neighbor, who lets me drive his cars has an M100 Elan, which we just went through resealing the engine, clutch and new axles in and a two year old Elise. I can drive the M but scrunch in the Elise. So I stay with my 6

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, they all seem to have been designed around one driver: Jim Clark. Fortunately I'm of an approximate "proper" size.

I had a chance to see if I could emulate the rest of his attributes, in a Formula A car in about '76. Realized I had to abandon any career aspirations with open wheel racing after a couple inspiring laps of Nelson's Ledges. :smirk:

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
There is a guy around here who has a Rotary in his Europa, I think he said it was about 150hp so it's pretty fast, blows big flames out the back on the overrun, also burns a lot oil too.

Yep, rotaries do burn oil.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Suppose to be picking it up tomorrow, guy has a bunch of parts for me too....including the original engine! As far as condition goes we'll have to wait and see as I most likely will have to make a seperate run to pick up the parts next weekend as they are at a different location from the car. Anyway...I am excited; My First lotus!

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Got it into my hands today. Couldn't do much b/c of the rain, but I've got a couple questions;
-My e-brake looks like it's controled by a handle under the dash on the driver side...is that normal for this car?(thought that was only a nissan/mazda truck thing)
-The front 'trunk' compartment has a lock and key, that works fine...but the only way I was able to pull it up was with a flat screwdriver...should there be some kind of handle or something??

This car is awesome though...so different from any other british car I've owned, kinda difficult to get out of though. But I cannot wait to get this thing driveable. The brakes and clutch seem fine, looks like someone painted the suspension all yellow, along with the rear drums.

Fist project will be replacing a broken passenger side upper door hinge...looks weird, but I've found a walkthrough online....but where can I get the parts??

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
E-brake handle is normal. Ford.

So is the lack of spring with the "trunk" lid.

First you'll have to disassemble the door hinge to see what you need. Pin, washers, etc.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Wot the Doc said is true. Also on the "trunk" lid, be carefull not to open it too far - there is no "stop" provided. The stock setup is a thin metal rod as a trunk strut - same on the rear. I have a length of cord as a stop on mine. A bit crude but works.

I also am fairly new to Europas too - owned one form a year now having spent many years tinkering on Triumphs. They are different, and a bit quirky, but a lot will be familiar, including the Lucas electrics. A lot of fun though.

IMG_0014.jpg

Happy Europering!

Rob.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...and we want PIX of the door hinge/damage so we see what's goin' on in there. Yhe pin needs a LOT of room under the car to remove it, and perhaps it's just the "sandpaper" washers wot're loose.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
We'll do...might be awhile, I've got a few other things to finish before I can get the time to start playing with this car too much...I might even decide to leave it till next season. Right now I am trying to get the MGA fixed up from it's hit and run.

All this is really making me want a europa even more.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
kennypinkerton said:

Go for it! You'll never be bored again! (Frustrated occasionally, but never bored.)

Rob.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
RobT said:
kennypinkerton said:

Go for it! You'll never be bored again! (Frustrated occasionally, but never bored.)

Rob.

Great, that just what I need to hear Rob :wink:
Your Europa looks great BTW...I've decided I like the look of the cut down 'wings' alot better than mine. I also noticed yours has 2 wipers, is that a later evolution? along with the corner marker?