• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ethanol/Gasohol for Triumps? *DELETED*

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Ethanol/Gasohol for Triumps?

The 85% stuff is still unavailable in most of the country I think, though we get the 10% formulation during the cold (i.e. not as hot) months of Arizona winter. Never had a problem with the winter formulation (with fuel pump diaphragm, fuel lines, etc) but would think the green stuff would be pressing your luck.

In addition, not sure what octane that stuff comes in... might be way too low for many TRs that were built for premium fuel.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

Hi Aldwyn,

The "winter" 10% formulation we get whether we want it or not seems okay, might need to retard the timing a degree or a few to use it. Really old rubber fuel hoses and seals don't take well to it, but probably should have been changed out years ago anyway.

With the 10% stuff, I have noticed a significant drop in the gas mileage with my Land Rover (which ain't very good to begin with), whenever Calif. mandates the switch to the "winter" blend. Ethanol just isn't as efficient as gasoline and never can be.

I've certainly not used it but have studied E85 a little, trying to see what's up with it. From what I understand, no, it won't be usable in our old cars without some significant work on the cars, if at all. There are some combustion issues, once again effecting timing, just even more-so than with the 10% formulation. But, one of the biggest problems is that again seals and hoses are heavily degraded by it, would need to be changed. I think I've seen where E85 is pretty corrosive toward some metal alloys, too, which might be a problem in a car built to run on gasoline.

With it's high percentage of ethanol, E85 is even less energy efficient than the 10% formulation, so that will mean about 35-40% more frequent stops at a gas station, too. Hope it's at least 40% cheaper than gasoline (or the 10% blend) or it won't be worth it from an economic point of view.

I seem to recall that Brazil has the most aggressive conversion to E85 going for some years now (that's where GM has sold all those "dual fuel" cars they brag about). The government has mandated and subsidized the conversion, so E85 is very widely available and costs about half what gasoline does, thus people are far more inclined to use it and to update to a car that can run on it.

One of the problems with E85 is that, for some reason I can't recall, it can't be transported via pipelines. So, a trucking and rail infrastructure needs to be created to distribute it, not to mention fueling stations. That might be more practical in smaller countries, but is a very tall order here in the U.S.! The lack of any sort of distribution network is a key reason E85 is presently mostly only available in farming areas in the central U.S., near where the corn is grown and E85 is produced, and where there is some demand from farm equipment that's already been designed or modified to use it.

I think it's quite a few years away.... No "quick fix" is going to happen. Still, I hope this doesn't mean some day we are having to barter for "real" gasoline for our LBCs on some sort of black market, down behind the E85 station in the middle of the night.

Maybe a conversion to recycled veggie oil would be a better alternative... That is if you don't mind smelling like french fries, chicken fried steak or fried jumbo shrimp when drivin' around in your LBC. OTOH, I suppose that might resolve a few complaints about exhaust fumes in the cockpit of certain models!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a conversion to recycled veggie oil would be a better alternative... That is if you don't mind smelling like french fries, chicken fried steak or fried jumbo shrimp when drivin' around in your LBC. OTOH, I suppose that might resolve a few complaints about exhaust fumes in the cockpit of certain models!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the original post was about, but this line caught my eye. I saw a show awhile back that stated that waste cooking oil could power up to 15% of the U.S. diesel powered semi's if converted to biodiesel. Before long Mickey D's will start selling the stuff. "You want fries and the grease we cooked it in with that?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Aldwyn

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior

Sorry for deleteing the first post. After posting my query about using the stuff in a Triumph, I discovered that not 2 months ago, this same topic was discussed here, so I figured I would save the forum the bandwidth and delete the thred. :smile: But it only deleted my message and not the messages after!

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

Hey Aldwyn,

We grabbed your thread and were running with it before you had a chance to delete it! That'll teach you!!