• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Don... Those Headers?

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I saw the picture of the TR3 you are restoring... Who made the headers they look longer than some I've seen...

Thanks,

Capt Roy
61TR3A Ts71469

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
They were put on by the present owner before he sent me the TR3A for restoration over 7 years ago. I don't even know if he knows, but I'll e-mail him and ask.

Don Elliott

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The owner of the TR3A that I'm restoring (see attachment above) came back with the following answers and comments.

What about his suggestion about me removing the wrap from the exhaust header as he asks ?
============================================

The exhaust manifold and system are what was known as the Monza exhaust headers and mufflers for a TR3. I believe I bought them from the Roadster Factory, as most of my TR3 stuff came from the TRF in the '90s.

The problem with that header system is you cannot use a standard TR3 intake manifold. You have to use a long TR4 or TR4A - I believe the intake manifold on my car is a TR4A. This is because the Monza exhaust headers come out farther from the engine before they bend downwards.

Unfortunately, using a TR4A intake manifold leads to another problem...the air filters will rub against the inner wheel well. Some people, especially vintage racers, will create a dimple on the wheel well to accommodate the standard air filter. You will see what I mean when you put the carbs and
filters back on the engine. We may need to look at alternate air filters that are not as larger in diameter as the standard filters.

As for the heat wrap on the headers, but please remove the wrap and throw it out. I have been told that while it may reduce some heat in the engine compartment, it is not good for the pipes. Plus, it looks better with no wrap on the headers.

Attachments

• 172316-F-06Frame&GearBox.JPG
    172316-F-06Frame&GearBox.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 78

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
The headers I have on my TR3 look just like that. They are chrome plated and were made by Hooker Headers in the 80s. I don't know whether the stock intake and aircleaners will fit because I have always had the Weber DCOE's on it, which easily fit with K&N air cleaners. Don't know if Hooker is still in business and if their headers are still available. Mine still look good after 25 years.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
don,
if you have the wrap off those headers, would you mind putting a tape measure on them to tell us how long each primary pipe is and what diameter they are. what is outlet size also. i'm building my own and would like to compare notes.
rob
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
The headers I have on my TR3 look just like that. They are chrome plated and were made by Hooker Headers in the 80s. I don't know whether the stock intake and aircleaners will fit because I have always had the Weber DCOE's on it, which easily fit with K&N air cleaners. Don't know if Hooker is still in business and if their headers are still available. Mine still look good after 25 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hooker is now owned by Holley and still makes headers ... for American cars. I didn't see anything for Triumphs.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Don,

Thanks for the response. I will be adding headers this year. I just purchased a engine that I'm going to pick up this weekend. I'm going to build it while I enjoy the LBC this summer.

I know I'll have lots of questions as the year, and work, progresses!

Thanks to all again...

Capt Roy
61 TR3A TS71469L

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK... just as a point of how goofy titling was on these cars... You've got TS71469L. Says it is a 61. I've got TS72119L... titled as a 61. Someone else on this list who I can't remember now has TS719xxL and it is a 60...

Not that it matters one bit... just funny to me. I guess I should break down and buy a heritage certificate and be done with it.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I need to do the same... I think this LBC is a 1960 by all the dat I have read... but they had a rough time selling them then and most cars reflect the year they were sold, not built..When I'm willing to give up the 50 bucks I'll find out!

Capt Roy
61 TR3A TS71469L

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
If you need to use the "long" TR4A intake manifold you can gain clearance by substituting HS6 SUs for the stock ones. The HS6s have short bodies and that may offset the intake manifold length.
Bob

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Thanks Bob for the info. But for now, the original SUs will fit. The owner sent me the car with no heat insulating blocks between the carbs and the intake manifold. That saves 1/4". We'll get it all together by this spring and run it in with no filters while we look for some that are thinner or angled on the front face so they can clear the inner fender.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
On page 112 of Bill Piggott's book, he lists that the first TR3A built in January, 1960 had Comm. No. TS 65124 and a total of 17054 were built during 1960. If you calculate 250 working days in the year, that's 70 cars a day. So according to my calculations, TS 71469 was built the last week of May, 1960 and TS 72119 was built on May 10th or so. The other one you mentioned TS 719?? had to be built in between those other two.