• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

*cries*

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Rob,

Joe over at Chequered Flag Motors is GIVING AWAY a '74.5 rolling shell. See: Craigs list ad from Joe

A good body man could surely clip in a piece and make it right for reasonable $. I'll bet for 5K or less you would get YOUR car back!

Just thinking!

Adam

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Rob, I am so sorry for your loss. I disagree with the people saying that "the car is replaceable..." She was special, and I always thought she was beautiful. I had a run-in with a bloody Astro van as well with my Jeep a few years ago. Had I been in your situation, I would've gone to jail for a double homicide, and I'm not joking either. I hope you or someone else makes her beautiful again.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
While technically the B *is* replaceable, I'm not ready to start working on another one so soon. I was very close to having all the major items the way I wanted. Aesthetically, I only needed a new dash pad, new soft top, and a paint job. After that I had plans for minor suspension updates, and some engine tweaks.

I feel I need a break. So, I can recoup from the hidden injuries (neck and upper back is still bothering me), get back into the right mind set to work on another B or some other LBC (a Lotus would be nice eventually), and appropriate a dwelling that is much more conducive to classic car owner ship.

In the mean time, I'll acquire something with less character and charm from the new car market for my daily transportation.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Rob - know how you feel...a friend was recently in my garage & asked me what I would do if my garage burned...after thinking aobut it, I'd probably build a smaller garage, buy 1 car & make it perfect!

D

Deleted member 3577

tony barnhill said:
I'd probably build a smaller garage, buy 1 car & make it perfect!
Nope...

I can't imagine that lasting long for you... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Besides...You should always have 2 Brit cars because they are afraid of the dark.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
WhatsThatNoise said:
What kind a Loti ya thinkin'?
I kind of fancy the early Elans and the Esprites... and of course the Elises and Exiges... but I need to be realistic and we're talking classics here /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Ugh... I am the WORST person at keeping track of receipts... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Spoke with my attorney Wednesday and he wants me to dig up receipts and the like for "proof" of improvements to the car over the past year. UNFORTUNATELY, I suck terribly at keeping track of those receipts. So, HOPEFULLY, the digital paper trail I left with all the vendors I've dealt with via PayPal and via my CC will suffice. Every single part I've purchased this past year (or ever for that matter) has been via PayPal payments or CC.

I just finished printing out every single transaction for every single part I purchased this year, and tabulated the expenses in parts and surprised myself at how much I spent...

hopefully what I've printed out will be helpful... if not I'll make the adjuster sit down with me as I pull up each and every transaction from PayPal, my CC account, and MossMotors... I think I'd rather deal with the physical pain than this mess... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Man, I feel for ya.

Steve_S

Yoda
Moss has a record of every purchase you've made. I'm sure they would send you copies of all the invoices if you explain your situation.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would bet Tony has the same.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
The attorney told me that the documentation I gave him (practically a book!) will serve the purpose.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Very good.

Hay guys, in the future insist on agreeded valuation of car for a wipe out. For example Miss Agatha is 16,000 if deemed a total loss. I also thought that would give em an incentive to fix her.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've analyzed all my cars & put together an appriased pricelist for my daughter & her mom in the event they decide to liquidate - I update it occassionally as I make improvements.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
heard back from the lawyer today. The insurance co evaluated my B at ~4k...

If I'm honest with myself and I'm as objective about my B as possible, that is a fair price; it was in dire need of a paint job, a new dash pad, and soft top.

However, personally, I can't even begin to place a price on the car.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
The question to ask is "Could I replace this EXACT car for what they are offering"?? I don't know about where you are, but where I am (DC) 4K will only buy a VERY average car, that most likely will move under it's own power. The obligation of the other party's insurance is to make you WHOLE. Don't settle for less. Remember, beauty is more than skin deep, and all the work that you have done adds value. Just because it is not "pretty" should'nt really matter.

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
maybe your car photographs a lot better then it really is, but to me 4k sounds low.

(not just because i have a '76 with plenty more then 4k in it;) )