• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

*cries*

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So sorry to see that Rob ... I am very glad that you are ok.

I've enjoyed your posts, especially the ones detailing your wheel restoration and the videos of your drives in the mountains.

Good luck with your physical, mental and vehicular recovery.

I hope you will be back on the road either in this or another LBC very soon.

Matt

clyderedmond

I am so sorry to hear about this. Do get a complete medical check and let us all know how the insurance and repair issues come out. I hope the car can be saved......

A

aerog

Ouch! That stinks. Glad you're essentially OK, and good job having the guy arrested. I'm all curious about the rest of the story now.

swift6

Yoda
Definitely get X-rays! Could be a lot of soft tissue damage which can sometimes be worse than actually breaking a bone. Though broken bones do seem to see higher insurance payout. Good luck with it all. Sad to see another daily driver LBC go down. Glad you weren't seriously (like hospitalized) hurt. Says a lot for the soundness and crashworthyness of the MGB.

A

aerog

...I just had to go look at the picture again. I think the ol' B did a pretty good job of keeping you in one piece after hitting van! I almost saw the same type accident yesterday but it involved a motorcycle. A guy in a big Cadillac pulled right out in front of this guy and...well it was about as close as you could get.

Y'all be careful!

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Rob, sympathy from the north country as well. You'll either build her better or have a whole new project. Watch yer health!
Mike

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Man,that really sucks.He probably doesn't have any money
to replace your car with,or take care of your bills.
Hopefully,someone here will help you find a nice replacement.Also,ask them about buying it back from the
insurance company.There has to be a lot of good usable
parts there.

- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's my concern, too. Too much of that car has been lovingly dealt with. Goodies you won't remember 'til it's too late. I'd be rather insistent it be repaired or at least kept as a buy-back. As I said earlier: It's unique.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think that was Robs one and only daily driver.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I have a problem with the buy back... I have NO SPACE to keep it, and part it out from. If I had my own garage, I'd do the buy back without blinking an eye. For now, I need to play the waiting game, to see what the Insurance folks say.

I have AAA auto insurance. I initially thought I was getting ripped off with my rates, but found out today that my rates were "high" because I was paying full coverage. Complete with 'uninsured driver' coverage, and rental car coverage.

Stewart said:
Slightly morbid but what is your opinion on the performance of the webesco seatbelts? How did they hold up?
My left shoulder is sore from the shoulder harness catching me. However, I'd MUCH rather have a sore shoulder than a face full of steering wheel. The belt seemed to still operate properly when I got out of the car. However, you'll understand that it wasn't on the top of my list of concerns at the time.

Saw an ER Physician this AM. Got X-Rays of my neck and left clavicle. He didn't think there was anything wrong. He thought I only had soft tissue damage/trauma and prescribed a muscle relaxant and an anti-inflammatory med.

I haven't taken either yet, but the pain in my neck has been slowly but steadily increasing all day, and I've been having what I can only call 'extremely weak' head aches off and on all day. If the head ache thing persists tomorrow, I'll be sure to visit again.

I looked at the car in the tow yard today, and took a few more pictures in better light. First thing I noticed is the front left wheel is 'too far back'; meaning the flattened tire is touching the back of the fender. So either the chassis is bent that badly, or the sub-frame assy sheered, or something in that area is ~jacked~. I was pretty astonished at how well the occupant tub held up. Both doors operate properly still. Though, all components in front of the engine are shot, and possibly the parts under the engine too.

I dunno. I'm achey... I'm taking the rest of the week off to recuperate. HOPEFULLY, I won't feel worse tomorrow or Monday...

here's the pic's from this morning:

Attachments

• 9610.jpg
    9610.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 9611.jpg
    9611.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 9612.jpg
    9612.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 32

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Had one hit me awile back, he got a ticket and cop gave me his insurance data etc etc,

Insurance company did not know him and cops gave a hoot less.

I learned a lesson, call the insurance company, his on your cell phone right from the accident site and verify data and report the incident.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
jlaird said:
I think that was Robs one and only daily driver.
you are correct sir. It was/is my only car.

Steve_S said:
Can't be Haggerty because they won't insure a daily driver.
You are also correct. AAA Auto-Insurance. Like I stated earlier; I was a bit displeased with my rates, until I found out I was paying for full coverage.

--

Side note: I ordered some parts for the car on Tuesday morning... guess what was on my door step when I got home after the accident last night.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
jlaird said:
Had one hit me awile back, he got a ticket and cop gave me his insurance data etc etc,

I learned a lesson, call the insurance company, his on your cell phone right from the accident site and verify data and report the incident.
the other guy in my accident didn't or wouldn't speak English........... 6 officers had him cornered in his van all of them shouting for a Spanish translator... heh

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
jlaird said:

Must happen more often than I thought. I had the same problem. Guy rear-ended me, police took the report, he was cited, and gave me his insurance info. Finally found this hole-in-the-wall company the guy supposedly used, but they couldn't find his name or his wife's name. After my agent got the same runaround with the company, we figured out the guy didn't really have insurance. After a couple of friendly voice mails asking for his policy number weren't returned, and after one hang up, he got VERY cooperative and paid cash for the repairs. Only took a friendly letter letting him know I'm not going away, and that I'll be sure to pass along to the police that he might not have insurance if the repairs aren't covered. Darn uninsured motorists /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif Rob, we feel your pain (figuratively, anyway). /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Rob you may want to start searching around on eBay, classifieds, craigslist etc to get the value for comparable cars in say a 200 mile radius and start gathering up receipts for recent repairs. And remember you don't have to take the first offer the insurance company give you for the car if its not repairable.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rob,

It sometimes takes a day or two to really feel the pain.
Don't always take the first offer that they give you for the car.Sometimes showing receipts helps.
Maybe you could let someone on the Forum buy the car through you.
Keep us posted.

- Doug

terriphill

Darth Vader
Nunyas said:
Side note: I ordered some parts for the car on Tuesday morning... guess what was on my door step when I got home after the accident last night.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Did you say parts? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
alternator tensions adjuster, windshield frame weather stripping, amco floor mats, and something else that I can't remember at the moment....

oh yeah, the seals/grommets for the 3 wiper bases...

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Stewart said:
Rob you may want to start searching around on eBay, classifieds, craigslist etc to get the value for comparable cars in say a 200 mile radius and start gathering up receipts for recent repairs. And remember you don't have to take the first offer the insurance company give you for the car if its not repairable.
yeah, friends at work and home keep telling me the same, and they're all recommending I get an attorney.

I believe the officer that wrote up the report recommended it too because he recognized the B as a classic, and to him it meant there's the possibility of neither insurance company paying what it's really worth, since they like the blue book so much. He mentioned he owns a couple of classics as well, though I believe his are American Iron thanks to the jab he gave me about my working on the car 'religiously'.