• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

*cries*

swift6

Yoda
If the pain persists, you might ask your MD to 'prescribe' a Chiropractor. Find a good one. Before the accident that totaled my then daily driver, almost three years ago, I never needed to or thought about seeing a Chiropractor. My MD looked at my X-rays and told me a Chiropractor was a necessity, not an option.

Had soft tissue damage from the base of my skull to my sacrum. So basically, my whole spine was out of whack. The pain wasn't as bad as the pain I experienced destroying my shoulder (preceding each of my two shoulder reconstruction surgeries) but it was still very uncomfortable.

Basically, in the split second of that impact, your body resets to the new positioning which also happens to be the wrong positioning. As you continue to try and do things 'normally' while your body is operating on a new level of 'normal', the pain from sore muscles (fighting muscle memory and a differing physical structure) will continue to escalate.

I have heard horror stories about some Chiropractors but they are all not that bad. There are bad Md's out there too. I have a really good one though. Takes the time to explain what is going on, goes over X-rays with me etc..., what has to happen and encourages communication. There are only a few adjustments that should leave you feeling worse than when you came in and usually that only lasts about an hour. Most of the time you should feel immediate improvement. Deep tissue massage therapy on the other hand... is not a relaxing massage.

My accident gave me a permanent back injury. Basically, I'm now extremely susceptible to displacing sections of my skeletal system. After nearly three years of treatment though, my body does some self correction to where its supposed to be. I only occasionally need the Chiropractors help.

Not meaning to scare you. Just warn you to get out ahead on treatment. Check your insurance regs but if the MD prescribes the Chiropractor then the insurance company usually has to pay for it. Even if they say they don't pay for chiropractors. They have to pay for prescribed treatment, they don't have to pay for maintenance.

My accident was also pretty intense. I was sitting stopped at a stoplight and was rearended by another vehicle that was still travelling at about 45mph when they struck me. Zero attempt to stop on their part. Luckily for me they didn't shove me into anything and I didn't get T-boned while sitting in the intersection.

Good luck and I do wish you a speedy recovery.

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Rob,

SO Sorry about the accident...as has been said many times before this post, sorry about the car but so glad you are all right...that probably can't be said enough.

Best wishes...

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Too bad theres is not a contributable fund that hobbyists can put a small amount into, to help enthusiasts that either fall on hard times or have an accident that is not covered under insuracne. A $buck a monthe would start things off and then a newsletter would eventually come out showing members progress...might be a neat idea. Not for proffit organization and set up for the true hobbyist.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I called my insurance claim adjuster this morning about getting a rental today, and he notified me that they've transferred my claim to the total loss dept. So, I guess that answers the question on whether or not the insurance folks will try and fix the car.

I guess the car is up for dibs to anyone on these forums that would like to buy it for parts. I'm not sure how to arrange this to happen, but I am willing to do what I can to help anyone here get it if they're interested.

I haven't received any information on how much they will try to give me for the car yet.

I got a rental so I could go visit a Chiropractor today. They assessed that my current discomfort is most likely due to muscle strain, but they're holding their final judgment until they get the X-Rays from the ER.

Steve_S

Yoda
If it's really not repairable and you want to part it out, you can have it delivered to my place and we'll knock it out in a weekend. Only catch is that the carcass can't stay here!

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
and I don't any place to put it... I think I'd rather sell the whole thing to someone that can do it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rob,

Whoever buys it will have to give you the money,&
you buy it.Get a salvage title through DMV,so no one can come back on you for for illegal parking,etc.Keep a copy
for your records,with a bill of sale,in case it gets abandoned down the road.
When they offer you a settlement,they should inform
you of the buyback price.

- Doug

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Rob,

I went through much of what you are about 6 months ago. (See " MGB GT vs. Chevy Avalanch ") IT'S NO FUN! Thank goodness you seem to be okay. I concur with all the others when they tell you not to sign anything for a long, long time - until you're SURE any injuries have been discovered and addressed!

Regarding the car, I have an idea for you. If the insurance company won't fix it or you decide it'll never be right, max out what you can get for it as a total loss. (I got what I paid for the car and every receipt I had.) Then buy it back. To give you an idea, I bought mine back for $500.

I know a guy in Sunland (not far for either of us) who has several B's in his back yard. (He's totally reliable - more detail in a PM if interested.) He lets people put cars there for a nominal monthy fee and he has a few bargans he's picked up on his own.

You could probably put your car there for a little while while you decide what to do. You can buy another car and transfer some or all of parts as desired. At least you would have some time to decide. You could sell it to clear space now but, once you do, it's gone for good. Once you have healed and the rain stops, you can search and decide. You can always sell it a month or two from now if you decide to.

I'd be happy to call him for you to verify his willingness and initiate the contact.

Oh! If you don't want to let them total it, I know of 2 frame guys who will do MG's to spec. Both come recommended but I have not see their work.

Let me know if I can help in any way! Adam

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This doesn't sound all that far-fetched.

swift6

Yoda
Rob, I sincerely hope your pain is really just strained muscles. The ER Doc that examined me declared it a minor back strain after a two minute examination. He didn't even want to take x-rays and I was foolish enough to listen to him. The opposing insurance company wanted to go with that instead of the later, more complete diagnosis. That was fun. Good luck with that.

Adam's idea is a sound one. Not totally suprising from the LBC community either. When my Bronco was totalled, I 'bought it back', which entailed the Insurance company deducting the buy back amount from the settlement. They never changed the title to a salvage title. Since it was repairable, just a whole lot more costly to repair than replace, it was still considered a total loss. I found out that a 'total loss' doesn't always mean salvage title. The insurance company simply doesn't like to deal with fixing old cars.

Good luck.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I think they get incentives from the state of Kalifornia for 'totaling' old cars out here...

D

Deleted member 3577

Terrible news Rob...

That picture is very hard to look at.

Under these circumstances...I'd have an attorney handle everything.
I wouldn't even speak to his insurance co. or him.

Glad you're OK...That looked like one heck of a hit /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

RickB

Yoda
Personal injury attorneys know how to deal with insurance companies. I know this from personal experience. Be sure to either get a personal reference or interview a few of them, no offense meant but attorneys can be good or evil & a little bit of everything in between.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
aye... I've opted to have an attorney get involved here. I am using one that several friends at work know and/or have used in the past. I haven't attempted to contact anyone from the other side yet, nor was I inclined to.

RickB

Yoda
Good, I hope it works out for the best Rob.
Please keep us in mind as things move forward.

D

Deleted member 3577

Just do a deal where they work for a straight hourly rate...

NOT the percent thing!

Don't chum the water before you go wading /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
What a drag! Glad to hear you are pretty much in one piece.

About the car...I've had to deal with two totaled cars (my MG and my daughter's car. Both times the insurance company offered an insanely low bid and told me that was their final word. This seems to be standard operating procedure. I fought both times (using comps and being obstinate until they agreed to an independent appraiser) and more than doubled the claim amount both times. However, I still didn't receive what the cars were really worth. The appraiser route might not be the best either, since most of them are only used to dealing with "normal" cars and will likely view your MG as "old iron". Given the amount you're dealing with I wouldn't bother to hire a lawyer unless there is bodily injury...their charges will soon erase any money you get back for a purely auto damage claim.

FYI I bought my wrecked MG (after submarining it beneath a pickup truck bumper) back for $250. It wasn't even close to being as damaged as yours (just a crumpled hood,grille, front part of fenders, busted radiator and fan). The damage was easy to fix; unfortunately, I'm still stuck with the salvage title.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
One thing to note-
You have 1 year from the date of the accident to sue the
insurance company in California.Otherwise you only get what they offer.
I hope it doesn't come to that for you.Something I learned from personal experiance.

- Doug