• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Click-it or ticket...78 Midget needs seatbelts!

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
OK, the aftermarket seat belts do not work in Midgets (found out after spending $90) since they mount at an angle on the rear fender well. They HAVE to be horizontal to the ground in order to release (they retract well, it's getting the darn belt back out that's the problem). Does anyone have any spare black seat belts lying around that are in nice condition? I could use a pair of them. I see the ones on ebay that are MG specific, but they look a lot like the ones I have and they have no expertise when I ask the question.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Can they be mounted on the top of the rear wheel well or can you make a bracket that allows them to be in the correct position.

OP
lbc_newbie

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
I would prefer not to modify them. Brackets and relocation will lessen their effectiveness. They have a rather hearty mount point on the fender well that I'd like not to compromise, plus keep the stock look. From what I've seen on these after market ones, you have to pull the belt out from a vertical position. Right now, I have to loosen the bolt, swing it vertical, pull the belt out, clip it so it does not retract, then tighten the bolt.....not fun. I have to do this for myself and my wife.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kind of depends how heavy you build or have the bracket built. Mock one up out of card board to take to your favorate shop.

Otherwise go to Moss or such and get ones that fit.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wow, what page are you on. I never saw 237$ seat belts.

Wow, found it. Gesh.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If I was really concerned about the function of the belts i would have new if just for cops to see would take what ever.

Race car belts must be changed by date.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sent you a PM.

Nice chatting almost real time here.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
These belt sets can be retrofitted to earlier MGBs by installing the later mounting boss on the rear inner wheel well. This is best done during restoration, or at least carpet replacement as welding is required.

Is this really what you want or do you need an orginal set (new) which is a lot cheeper.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So then the $335 item is not an option.

What you need is the Standard seat belt at $31 each or the real type at $99 each.

Same page Moss A12.

Don't forget my PM.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I should suggest that sholder belts are not going to be good for anything unless you run with them really tight like the racers as there is no room for slop as the dash etc is right there.

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
I have a 78 and replaced the seat belts with the after market ones and had the same issue. What I did is went to Home Depo and purchased 2 swivel male and female mounting plates. Screwed the female plate down where the original belt holder was then attached the male to the bottom of the after market belt bottom. Push it in the female side and you got a swivel that will adjust to the needed angle of pulling the belt out and in. The only issue that I really dont know about is if an actual accident occurred. Would the male side pull out on impact? But it works to use the seat belt so the police man is happy.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
lbc_newbie -

I added seatbelts to my 64. 2 point (non-retractable); threw away some 3 points (shoulder harness) on the advice that they pulled from below vs. in a "normal" car they would pull from the top. The danger - could be exagerated - they could really mess you up your back in an accident (more than if you had nothing).

Basically - the pulling from below caused back & spine compression and that these cars just aren't designed to handle 3 point seat belts. 2 points work well and are cheap through JC Whitney.

Fact is - these cars aren't designed for any type of safety. Defensive driving is the best safety mechanism.

Good Luck --

GJZ

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahh, some one already makes the brackets, your in luck. Make a trip to Home Depot. Sounds like a cheep fix as you already have belts.

So nice when someone can share a fix.

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
George Zeck said:
lbc_newbie -

I added seatbelts to my 64. 2 point (non-retractable); threw away some 3 points (shoulder harness) on the advice that they pulled from below vs. in a "normal" car they would pull from the top. The danger - could be exagerated - they could really mess you up your back in an accident (more than if you had nothing).

Basically - the pulling from below caused back & spine compression and that these cars just aren't designed to handle 3 point seat belts. 2 points work well and are cheap through JC Whitney.

I thought some downward slope was ok, as long as it wasn't excessive. SCCA specs allow for no more than a 20 degree downward slope IRRC. The belts on my Midget are mounted to the top of the rear inner fender wells, no doubt to minimize the compression forces as you described, but I still think they would at least go some way to keeping my head off the windshield frame. I will have to take note of the angle next time I buckle up.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Anyone have issues with seat belts bleeding color onto you? It's so bad in my car I stopped using them! Something I have to address this season. Must be some sort of dye sealant I can treat them with. I gave a ride to a friend who sat on the belt (short hop through a camp ground) when she got out there were blackish strips across her white shorts. She wasn't impressed. I keep a rag in the car to put between me and the belt but that's not a long term solution.
I got pulled over once for no seat belt usage, since a '63 Corvair didn't have them, I was grandfathered in. Cop seemed perturbed he couldn't bust me.