• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Can I run engine in car with no transmission?

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Can I safely run the engine in my TR3 without the transmission installed? If yes, how would I support the back end of the engine? I would be leery of just putting a block under the sump since that could bend the sump due to engine vibration while running.
Regards,
Bob

Country flag
Running an engine without a transmission is safe, engines are run on stands for testing or break in all the time. You'd want to have the flywheel in place, both for the starter if being used and for providing mass to smooth out the run. As for supporting the engine, you might look into either bracing it to the firewall or making a U shape from angle iron that can be attached to a couple of the sump bolts on either side to carry the load to the ground. Of course, the choice would be influenced by how mobile the car needs to be during this period.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the responses! I like the idea of making a brace out of angle iron to support the back end of the engine. I'll open my garage door when I run the car. I usually also put a big fan in the door way behind the car to blow the exhaust fumes out.
Regards,
Bob

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
My concern would be the starter breaking the casting off the block. I think the casting would be very weak at the starter hole if the bell housing of the transmission is not bolted together with it. Heck that casting sticks out several inches. I have always been afraid I would break it just moving the engine around. I think a starter hooked only to that cantilevered piece of casting might snap the casting right off.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks ps53! I agree that could be a problem. Does anyone have any experience with using the starter without the transmission bell housing attached?
Regards,
Bob

Country flag
It's tougher than you think. I never seen one broken off and I've have a lot of those engines (50+). I have cranked several without the trans as well

marv

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Marv! That's good news! Have you ran a TR3/4 engine for any length of time without transmission, how did you support the back end?
Wow 50+ engines!
Regards,
Bob