• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugatti

William

Darth Vader
Spent Sunday at Road America, for the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival. Featured marques were Elva and Bugatti. Apologies for spending most of my film on Bugattis, rather than Elvas. But you have to admit...

[image] [/image]

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
But you have to admit...

Oh, absolutely!
All my cars, my plane and maybe even one kidney....for a Type 35B

(William: your link only allows me to see only one picture....are there more?)

OP
W

William

Darth Vader
I just posted the thumbnail of the one pic (no gallery, I like to just toss a photo into a post when the mood strikes). That Atlantic blew me away-one of three built, two of which are Stateside (a black one owned by Ralph Lauren is the other one), and it was just parked there so anyone could walk around it and ogle. All the Bugattis were like that-just walk up, take pictures, inspect, and enjoy. Absolutely heavenly!

And, speaking of a Type 35...here ya go!

[image] [/image]

I only started scanning any pics from this weekend today, and my scanner's at my parents, so there ain't many more at the moment!

-William

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
they built more than 3 Atlantics I think,

Jay Leno had one built for him on a real bugatti he purchased and rebodied

OP
W

William

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
they built more than 3 Atlantics I think,

Jay Leno had one built for him on a real bugatti he purchased and rebodied

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, only three built in period. The first one was built in 1935 and had "electron" bodywork (magnesium), which we all know is quite flammable. That's why the Atlantic features that rivetted strake running along the centerline of the car and the fenders-welding would have been difficult if not impossible (can magnesium be welded at all? Certainly the magnesium tubbed AAR Eagle that Dan Gurney ran was rivetted). So Jean Bugatti used this necessity as a styling feature. This first car disappeared in the late thirties, believed to have been destroyed in an accident with a train.

The blue car I photographed is chassis #57374, and was built in 1936, with aluminum bodywork but keeping the rivetted flanges as a styling point. Chassis #57591 was the third and final Atlantic built, completed in 1937. That car is the well known black car currently owned by Ralph Lauren.

As for Jay Leno's car, it certainly can't be called an Atlanitc, since it's a rebody, in much the same way as a Ferrari 250 GTE wearing GTO bodywork can't really be called a GTO. Nor could it be considered to be part of the Atlantic population, as it never existed as such in the first place.
As they say, there's more of them now than left the factory then!

-William

OP
W

William

Darth Vader
And, since I sort of started off on a rant back there, here's another Bugatti photo. Sorry, Beaulieu!

Another Type 35.

[image] [/image]

mikeyr

my favorite Bugatti...a 35, wow they are perfect

OP
W

William

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
William:
I'll test your Bugatti knowledge. What's the purpose of the hole in the engine-bonnet? (on the driver's side)

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be yer carburetor intake, but only on supercharged T35s. Non S/C cars lack that. (if you look closely there's supposed to be a screen in there too). Under the hood it looks like someone soldered together some plumbing pipes to go from that hole to the carb throat. Weird, but it works.

-Wm.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
That would be yer carburetor intake...

Well, yes. It does serve that function.
But you wouldn't really need a hole in the hood to get air to the intake....thare's plenty of louvers in the hood to admit cold air.
The purpose of the hole is to prevent backfiring from burning the hood. It's called the blow-off hole. You can see it on some street Bugattis too.