• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN-7 Price

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi,

I found a 1959 BN-7 in excellent condition--mechanically and cosmetically. The only thing I would have to fix is a very small dent behind the headlight. No biggie.

I have no idea what a fair price would be and would really appreciate your advice.

Owner is asking $50K and said to make an offer.

Thanks.

Paul

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I would think for 50 grand there would be no damage whatsoever anywhere. Make sure you drive it to verify transmission shifts in all gears and the overdrive works.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
50 large isn't crazy for a BN7 but I'd expect the car to be top notch. Not sure about that dent? Will it require paint? I'd make that a bargaining chip for sure.

OP
V

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Dent will require repaint. Transmission shifts fine, but owner said not to use first gear due to ratios?

OP
V

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Owner said it took several years to restore. Not a nut and but job, but it does look very nice.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
If it was done professionally it might be worth it. I'd probably sell mine for $30,000. It's an older restoration, with a professional paint and body work, but I did the interior. The engine compartment is mostly original.
IMG_1505-1.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

This is the in process (not frame off, but all steel panels removed):
Document19.jpg

OP
V

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tim,

Your car looks great. The one I'm interested in is Healey Blue with a blue interior. I am told the car was restored professionlly, but is not a nut and bolt job. The engine compartment was also painted. Work was done several years ago. Engine was not detailed. Car has high-torque starter, electronic ignition, stainless steel exhaust, painted wire wheels, new top, tonneau and side curtains.

When I drove it it ran well. It does pull to the right and the owner said not to use 1st gear due to ratio. He said he has a part to change the ratio, but will give it to new owner.

That's about all I know about it. I am told the value ranges between $31K and $55.8K.

Paul

mjobrien

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Paul,

Might ask the local Healey or British car shop of your choice to do a mechanical review for you. If the seller is not hiding anything they will not object. Knowing about any frame damage and overall chassis integrity is critical in these older cars.

A few recent autions to reference off of;

57 100-6 $55K - Frame off recent restoration
58 100-6 $66K - Famous restoroation shop
61 BT7 $55K - 300 miles new from a recent restoration

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Michael.

OP
V

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Michael,

Thanks for the very helpful information. I think I'll have the owner take it to a Healey shop near here for a thorough evaluation.

Merry Christmas.

Paul

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
hi all merry xmas thats alot of money there's a couple of cars on ebay now that look nice that are alot less if you want alittle advice get a local club member to look at the car ,when you get the bug to get into a healey anything looks good then you find out whats wrong ,you have to know what you want out of the car just a driver or concours .original parts are hard to find now so if something is missing it could cost alot and for 50 grand i think the car has to be near perfect because these so called restorers are way over priced their cost is more than the cars are worth good luck

OP
V

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. The owner is 80 years old and is a member of the local Healey club. He has owned the car since '91 ans said it took 10 years to restore.

I'll call him on Monday and ask him to take it to a local British repair shop that has done prior work on the car and ask them to do a compete inspection.

I am also looking at a '60 BN-7 that is all original. It will need a complete paint job, but has no rust.

Paul

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
not a bn7 fan but 50 grand is still alot of money if you can get an original that only needs paint depending on price might not be that bad a deal , you could prob get a really good paint job for around 5-7 grand as long as there isn't any rust

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Paul, I just sold my '60 BN7 this year and got $42 for it. It was a total resto, frame off etc. etc.

How about posting some photos either here on the forum or in a separate website where we can view the car for a more rational evaluation.

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
Probably he means the rear end gear ratio is low and 1st gear is not really needed and maybe for the fix he has one of the Lempert 354 rear ends available. Just a guess but that would be a valueuable piece if that is the case.
BR1

Country flag
Or, it could mean that 1st is so badly worn (usually the smallest cog on the laygear) that it pops out with a BANG (unless you hold it in). Second (2nd) gear has plenty of oomph to start out in, and lots of owners ignore 1st gear anyway. I made a trip once where the trans got stuck in 4th gear, and took off numerous times in the course of several hundred miles (Atlanta, GA to Spring Hill, FL) in 4th, including rush-hour downtown Tallahassee.

Pulling to the right can be as simple as the tire pressure too low on that side, suspension alignment (which has precious little adjustability) or a bent chassis or suspension component.

As much as I love the 2-seaters, $50k should be reserved for a perfect, no stories car. Really flawless.

You never stated, or I missed it, as to what you intend to do with the car. If it's to be a driver/weekend cruise nights type car, or if you're intending to pursue an upper scale concours type event(s). This can make a tremendous difference.

Personally, I'd be looking for a car in a lower price brkt (the BN7 you mention needing paint, for example) so that you can see the condition of the car, underneath the gloss.

In any case, good luck, and be sure to stay with us.

If you want your pictures posted up here, you can send them to me too (I have somewhat of a reputation for visual images...).