• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 glovebox lock

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Howdy all!

Quick question for the collective. The glovebox lock on my BJ8 is barely functional, and I see that replacements aren't available. Before I take my typical approach and simply dive in and take the gadget apart, does anyone have any words of wisdom? Many thanks as always!

B.

Country flag
I saw one on ebay yesterday complete with door. Between two you could make at least one that works. But usually they are just gummed up and function with a good cleaning.

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
I agree with tahoe_healey WRT being gummed up.... I took mine apart, cleaned it, assembled with grease, and it works great!

Mark

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I agree with TH and Mark. Make that 3 of us who took ours apart and gave it a good clean and lube. After that, I took it to the local lock smith and had him re-key it to my ignition/door lock barrel. Heck I gave him my trunk lock too. One key opens everything now.

Good luck with your lock.
Roger

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]One key opens everything now. [/QUOTE]

IMHO AUSMHLY, exremely SMART!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bow.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif
Ed

Country flag
I don't lock the glove box in case some one wants to break in (since my doors don't have locks). Repair matching the wood would be impossible. Since you may have matching original numbers on the ignition, you should match everything to that key. Original key blanks are often available on ebay. Moss has repos. The one key for all means you will have to turn off the engine to get into the boot or glove box. I believe the boot and the glove box share a key so parking attendents could not have access.
TH

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
The only thing I ever lock is the boot and only when I put something I don't want easily stolen.

My glove box and boot have their own key. But, it seems the only time I need to lock or unlock them is when the engine is running. Since I keep both keys on the same ring, I have to turn off the engine to use the boot key.

I never lock the doors in fear of losing the key and not being able to put the top up with rain comming! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Mark

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Gentlemen

Matching keys are a good idea. But.. A lock on an Austin Healey is as useful as a tit on a bull.

1. Don't leave valuables in the car if the car is exposed.
2. Never lock the doors or the glove box.
3.Lock the trunk at your own peril.

If someone wants to steal something in my car, I'll make it as easy as possible. That way I'll not have to pay for a new top or broken window or door locks.

Just IMHO of course...

Randy '66 BJ8

OP
MadRiver

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
10-4 on never leaving valuables in the car. My real issue is that the lock's bolt doesn't go down all when the button is pushed, so it won't clear the catch, making it impossible to open unless one has a screwdriver handy. Of course, I would generally put the screwdriver in the glovebox! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'll take it apart and clean it up, and see if that will make the push button work a bit better. Thanks guys!

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Interesting take on if you should use the locks on your car.

My take on the lock issue:

1. If I'm driving, I would have to stop to get in the boot. Why not have the same key as the ignition.

2. If I need to get in the glove box while I'm driving, I don't lock it. If it's locked, I'll pull over. What is so import in there that I need to keep driving?

3. I do lock my doors and trunk. To keep someone from simply opening them up and getting into my car. I don't leave anything inside the car to tempt someone from seeing and wanting it. The only person who is going to cut the top or break the window to get in, either wants what they see inside or wants to steal the car. The person who wants to steal the car, may pass because the doors are locked. Any one who really wants it or a professional will take the car no matter what we do. Lock the car, top up and windows up.

4. Lock the trunk. Always.
The kill switch is in there. That should stop the car thief who tries to hot wire the car and does not know about the kill switch. (Again, if the thief is a professional or a knowledgeable Healy guy, nothing will stop them).

5. Parking attendants: Yup, they will have access to my glove box and boot. Not that I would ever let one behind the wheel of my car. I'll park it, thank you very much.

Yes, don't leave valuable showing in your car. That's probably more of a risk than having the car stolen.
IMHO, it's better to lock a car than not. I think it deters trouble.

Cheers,
Roger

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I only keep cheap sunglasses and other inexpensive items in the glove box. Same with the inside of the car. The only thing I lock is the boot and only in a situation where the kill switch is used. Probably should make using it more of a habit, but I am operating under a you-can-look-but-there-is-nothing-of value-to-take-except-the-whole-car-and-you-cannot-start-it approach. I am glad mine does not have a radio for the same reason.