• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 finally on the road after 10 years lay up.

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have just returned from a short road test in my recently recommissioned BJ8 after it had been off the road for 10 years.
It passed its MOT this morning after a few late nights getting it to that stage.
I have a big smile on my face as I had never driven a Healey before and the sound was superb.
It is still a bit rough around the edges with much work to be done but a few things I noticed on my first test drive that users may be able to help with -

when I brake from speed it seems to introduce a wobble at the back end. Maybe the rear brakes are uneven?

The hood when lowered will not go down all the way. It seems to go down to a certain level and then you have to push hard to overcome the spring pressure to get it to the fully lowered position, but when you let go, it pops up again?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Congratulations on getting it back on the road! It took me about that long with my BN4 so I know the feeling.

Since I have a BN4 with 4-wheel disc brakes and a hardtop, I have no experience with your problems. Sorry.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John

If you suspect the back brakes are not even, this should have been picked up at the MOT station, <span style="text-decoration: underline">so it should not be that</span>.
You can quickly check by jacking her up, remove the back wheels and tighten the adjusters on both sides, hit the brakes to centralise the system then back off the adjusters one click so that the wheels turn with a feint rubbing on the brakes. Before you remove the wheels see if there is any play on the splines, I assume you wellied up the knock offs in the first instance?

Regarding the hood, did you fold it down correctly? mine needed a little shove to complete but does stay down.

Best of luck

Bob

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
After a few more miles I am pretty sure its not the brakes that are causing the wild rear end. It seems to be if I am going down hill and there is a slight bump in the road the back end seems to lose it and gives me a bit of a wiggle on the steering.
Its as if the shocks are worn out but they seems dry and I have done the bounce test.
The hood still wont stay down. Bob, you say "did I put it down correctly?" what exactly do you mean? I folded the rear window and watched out for snags etc.

I also now have another problem. The starter motor spins but doesn't turn over the engine. I attempted to take off the starter ( what a job? I have a LHD model and I think they must have crowded the space around the starter with bits that cant be on the RHD version. I could hardly get any access and then it is impossible to get the starter away from the car without taking off the servo/ distributor etc).
It looks like the nut has come off the starter drive unit so the nut and spring are in the bell housing and small drive cogs are free to fall off the end of the shaft. Not sure I can do alot about the missing parts without splitting the engine.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Regarding the rear wobble, is the Panhard rod in place? That is the rod that stabilizes the rear axle to the body. It runs transverse with one end connected to rear axle housing and the other to the body.
Regarding parts falling into bell housing, you might try a mirror on a stick and a magnet on a stick to fish them out.
Regarding removing starter, can't you get it out from the bottom of the car?

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I dont think I have the panhard rod as I have a phase 2.

Not sure I will get much luck with a mirror and a magnet as I cant seem to get anywhere near the hole due to access.

There in no way it will come out from the bottom of the car. the manual says it will just come out but I imagine that refers to RHD cars. As mine is LHD I think the servo is in the way.

Thanks for your comments

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Sorry for my lack of knowledge of BJ8/Phase 2.

I just found out the following:
<span style="font-style: italic">A dropped rear-frame ensured that there was a full inch more clearance, at the same time the suspension was improved with twin radius arms replacing the Panhard rod attached to the rear axle. Handling improvements were developed as stronger wheel hubs were used. Aesthetically push button handles with external locks replaced the existing pull handles. Separate amber front and rear indicators came as standard in March 1965.</span>

So, have you checked the twin radius arms, whatever they are, since they apparently are supposed to do the job of locating the rear axle.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Jeepster said:
After a few more miles I am pretty sure its not the brakes that are causing the wild rear end. It seems to be if I am going down hill and there is a slight bump in the road the back end seems to lose it and gives me a bit of a wiggle on the steering.
Its as if the shocks are worn out but they seems dry and I have done the bounce test.
The hood still wont stay down. Bob, you say "did I put it down correctly?" what exactly do you mean? I folded the rear window and watched out for snags etc.

I also now have another problem. The starter motor spins but doesn't turn over the engine. I attempted to take off the starter ( what a job? I have a LHD model and I think they must have crowded the space around the starter with bits that cant be on the RHD version. I could hardly get any access and then it is impossible to get the starter away from the car without taking off the servo/ distributor etc).
It looks like the nut has come off the starter drive unit so the nut and spring are in the bell housing and small drive cogs are free to fall off the end of the shaft. Not sure I can do alot about the missing parts without splitting the engine.
Have you checked the leaf springs to see if they are in good shape? I had to replace both of my leaf springs due to broken leafs on one and the end of the other was broke in half!
Patrick

Country flag
Jeepster said:
Its as if the shocks are worn out but they seems dry and I have done the bounce test. ...

You say they're 'dry,' and I'm assuming you mean on the outside, but that may not be a good thing as all the shock fluid may have leaked out.

Have you checked the fluid level in the shocks?

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John

The hood tends to fall into place naturally as it is lowered, but have you checked that the folds are uniform? Then each side of the front hood rail are then pressed down in turn to complete the process.

Regarding your wobble at the back, are all the fixings tight? like axle to springs etc. and what about the spring fixings themselves are they sound front and back?

Bob