• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best way to destroy hard drive?

OK.... I have removed the hard drive. It's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, 250GB.
IMG_4374.jpg

I hooked up with some cables and was able to see it on my Mac.
If I want to use it backup the files on my Mac what do I have to do to make it compatible?

Elliot - try copying a Mac file onto the Seagate. Then sea (edit: see) if the Mac can open the file that's on the Seagate. If you can copy and read, then try renaming it and copying it back to the Mac and try to open it. If all goes well, it's "compatible".

Tom M.

Thanks Tom. I’ll give it a try.

The external hard drive is formatted NTFS so I can only read files off of it and not write files from my Mac onto the external hard drive.
Obviously I'll have to reformat or partition the hard drive. I need to think about the best way to proceed.

I still have to connect a device to my computer to back it up (hard drive or USB drive). As for formatting, I only have to do that once and it's done.
The hard drive I removed is plenty big for my applications (250 GB) so I'll probably keep it and reformat it. It doesn't appear that hard to accomplish.

:iagree:

BUT: If you are determined, get that UBCD .iso and make either a bootable thumb drive or CD, low-level format the drive and then introduce it to your Mac for formatting.

Tom, I'm not sure how old Elliot's HD is.

The computer had a Vista operating system. I’m guessing it’s at least ten years old. The computer hasn’t been used in the last 4 or 5 years. The drive is in fine shape and I would have no problem using it.

It would have been easier for him to number the drives before shooting them. Guess he'll have to do it again.

I've had 2 hard drives fail on me. Both were fairly new, as in less than a year and not running around the clock. Both were Seagates.

I've had 2 hard drives fail on me. Both were fairly new, as in less than a year and not running around the clock. Both were Seagates.

Interesting I have a Seagate NAS that works - then overheats and shuts down and then works again. annoying

Interesting I have a Seagate NAS that works - then overheats and shuts down and then works again. annoying

JP - I think that drive is trying to tell you something. hint hint

Hmmmm..... I just read (yesterday) that there’s a vent hole on my Seagate 7200. The instructions say Do not cover this vent hole. Wondering if this could applicable to your Seagate?

Back