• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best way to destroy hard drive?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK.... I have removed the hard drive. It's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, 250GB.
IMG_4374.jpg

I hooked up with some cables and was able to see it on my Mac.
If I want to use it backup the files on my Mac what do I have to do to make it compatible?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Elliot - try copying a Mac file onto the Seagate. Then sea (edit: see) if the Mac can open the file that's on the Seagate. If you can copy and read, then try renaming it and copying it back to the Mac and try to open it. If all goes well, it's "compatible".

Tom M.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Tom. I’ll give it a try.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The external hard drive is formatted NTFS so I can only read files off of it and not write files from my Mac onto the external hard drive.
Obviously I'll have to reformat or partition the hard drive. I need to think about the best way to proceed.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I still have to connect a device to my computer to back it up (hard drive or USB drive). As for formatting, I only have to do that once and it's done.
The hard drive I removed is plenty big for my applications (250 GB) so I'll probably keep it and reformat it. It doesn't appear that hard to accomplish.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:iagree:

BUT: If you are determined, get that UBCD .iso and make either a bootable thumb drive or CD, low-level format the drive and then introduce it to your Mac for formatting.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom, I'm not sure how old Elliot's HD is.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The computer had a Vista operating system. I’m guessing it’s at least ten years old. The computer hasn’t been used in the last 4 or 5 years. The drive is in fine shape and I would have no problem using it.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
It would have been easier for him to number the drives before shooting them. Guess he'll have to do it again.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I've had 2 hard drives fail on me. Both were fairly new, as in less than a year and not running around the clock. Both were Seagates.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've had 2 hard drives fail on me. Both were fairly new, as in less than a year and not running around the clock. Both were Seagates.

Interesting I have a Seagate NAS that works - then overheats and shuts down and then works again. annoying

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Interesting I have a Seagate NAS that works - then overheats and shuts down and then works again. annoying
Hmmmm..... I just read (yesterday) that there’s a vent hole on my Seagate 7200. The instructions say Do not cover this vent hole. Wondering if this could applicable to your Seagate?