• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best way to destroy hard drive?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Interesting I have a Seagate NAS that works - then overheats and shuts down and then works again. annoying
My Seagate NAS has the front cover open, and a big muffin fan taped across the opening. It's never overheated (although it is probably due for a fan replacement). Never did figure out what it's problem is, the management software always said the box was too hot inside, but the built-in fan clearly slows down soon after starting the NAS. So evidently whatever sensor it uses is not saying things are too hot. The air coming out feels cool too, the big muffin fan was just to make me feel better. Hard drives like being kept cool.

At one time, Seagate was the greatest. Used a lot of them back in my IT days. Then they got bad, and it was Hitachi making the best PC-grade drives. Then WD bought out Hitachi. Looks like the drives they make that still have the Hitachi HGST part number are still pretty good, though.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q3-2019/

Oddly enough, although Seagate made the NAS box, it's full of Hitachi drives :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Fuji was another to go up and down in reliability & reputation. I got on board with the class-action suit against them, had a couple business critical drives crash, kept one good controller board to use as a data recovery tool. I think I got about ten bucks from that C.A.S. hassle. Currently using WD "Black" drives for server builds. A couple 'hot-swap' drive slots for backup running. so far, so good.

My latest concern is the eventual restart at the "non-essential" businesses, those machines had been running constantly, some are over four years old, now shut down.