• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Berkeley

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
Classic Motorsports magazine did a series documenting a restoration of one of these. They're neat little cars, but that price seems high. I can think of several other desirable LBC's that you can buy in clean, running condition for the current bid.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifHehehe, the ClassicMotorsports/GRM crew are having a Suzuki GSXR 750 powered Berekely built for their $2006 Challenge. Should be pretty sick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
It would be worth more with the original engine since the 3 cylinder 492cc engines are hard to find. One (engine) sold on UK eBay about a month ago for a little over $1000. I don't think the Honda swap is unusual. The original Excelsiors are pretty expensive to rebuild.

There are a few Berks with Mini engines & drivetrains and at least one with a Crosley 750cc engine. At least one has been converted to solar (electric) power.

A total of 666 3 cylinder Berks were made. I think most came to the US. The Berkeley Enthusiasts Club says there are only 2 492's on the road today worldwide. There may be a few they don't know about.

I think the eBay car is priced a bit high but haven't seen it except for the pictures.

I've always liked these cars - both my first and second cars as a kid were Berkeleys. I now have two, a 492 and a 2 cylinder that I recently bought.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

Whats the accelleration/ handeling like at 492cc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could tell you. When I first owned it, my 3 cylinder (492cc) broke the differential mount before I could drive it enough to find out. I now own it again but it needs restoration before I can drive it. That's in progress now. It's the same car as the 2 cylinder 328cc, so the handling & brakes should be similar. Cornering ability is very good on smooth roads. The steering is good, but the Burman box isn't as responsive as the rack & pinion common on small cars then. The brakes are not like any car I've driven. The car just stops instantly. Heavy braking is exciting, since the rear end with driver aboard probably weighs about 325 lbs. You don't worry about pull to the left or right, you worry about swapping ends.

On bumpy roads - 12 inch wheels and a 700 lbs car. You can imagine...

Acceleration in the 3 cyl is of course better than the 2 cylinder, but it won't worry most modern cars. I suppose a 3 cyl will do 0-60 in 18 seconds or so. The 2 cyl takes longer but they're so small that it feels much quicker.

The Royal Enfield powered cars were much faster accelerating, with 0-60 in about 13 seconds. A lot depends on driver weight!

Earlier today I looked at a Royal Enfield powered car on one of the "racecar for sale" sites listed at $38,000. Maybe Berk values are rising!

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
The car isn't that far from me so if anyone would like me to look at it let me know.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
For sale on E-Bay.
It has a Honda engine (!?!)....

[/ QUOTE ]

This car, with a non-original engine described as "broken" by the seller, sold for $5300! The serial number was only two numbers away from my 3 cyl, yet it had all the features of a much earlier car. Strange.

My parts car may live inside this winter. Can't let these valuable investments deteriorate.

*Update* - It's been relisted and the winning bidder is no longer registered on eBay.