• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cincinnati Brit car show - Berkeley 50th

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
If any one attends the British car show in Fairfield OH (North Cincinnati, I believe) this Sunday, please stop by the bunch of Berkeleys and say hello. (Ask for the guy from Maine).

This is the (US) gala 50th anniversary celebration of the marque, and with luck there'll be 8 or 10 cars there, one or two of which might actually run!

The show is run by the British Car Club of Greater Cincinnati and the Ohio Valley Austin Healey club and they're highlighting Spridgets this year, according to the brochure.

P.S. If you have any spare Berkeley parts, please bring them.

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Cincinnati show - Berkeley 50th photos

The weather was great, the show was outstanding. About 110 cars registered (all British) but many more showed up.

The Berkeley contingent was well represented and as part of my continuing quest to raise the value of my parts car I present these photos.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

Above: Dr. Rita Wetzel's race car from the sixties. Unrestored - outstanding patina.

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

Phil C's beautiful #13. Restored from a real basket case. Engine is a 3 cyl Excelsior as originally used.

IMG_0573.jpg

Larry N's B105 with the original Royal Enfield (aka "Royal Oilfield") engine. This car carries about 10 pounds per horsepower with driver - doing the math tells you it's pretty quick.

IMG_0580.jpg

The Berkeley group.

It was a great trip.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: Cincinnati show - Berkeley 50th photos

Those look like fun little cars!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

John:

I love that "Migerati".
Glad you were able to get out there (did you drive or tow?).

When we were pulling out to Pittsburgh Vintage last week we could see a tiny dot ahead as we were climbing one of the hills on Route 80.
For a while I wondered if it was a Berk but as the Freestar/trailer/Spridget caught up with it (even though we were towing uphill with about 300 lbs over gross), it turned out to be a Crosley Hotshot holding about 35 mph.
A cheerful fellow....he was smiling and waving as we crawled passed him. (I wonder what was wrong with him?...Doesn't he realize that he needs a giant V-8, 4-wheel-drive bohemouth to be truly happy?)

Anyway, I wonder if you have seen this page on Berkeleys?

https://home.clara.net/peterfrost/berkeley.html

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag

Nial, I didn't bring a car so I flew out. I carried most of a Berk transmission with me to deliver to a friend out there - one of the advantages of really small cars. Also managed to get a few parts to bring back.

I think it takes a brave person to drive a Crosley these days with all the trucks & SUV's on the roads. I see one near here now & then, even in the winter. It's often parked in a field with a few 40's or 50's vintage airplanes, a windsock, a small structure, and an old Nash (also driven) and really brings you back in time.

I guess this is Crosley month - an old friend sent me a Crosley shop manual about 2 weeks ago, with no explanation.

I've seen the Berk page you mentioned, although not recently. It has some pretty rare cars on it. Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is Crosley month - an old friend sent me a Crosley shop manual about 2 weeks ago, with no explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess when a crosley mysteriously appears in your driveway - you'll get the hint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Hey, that's not so unusual - I frequently come home to find a new MG sitting on my property...only time it bothered me was one Sunday in pouring rain blocking my drive...& me in a suit!

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

Lovely photos John... Wish I was there... I don't even think there are any Berkeley's here in Alberta...

Last time I saw a Berkeley would have been the Micro North meets back when I lived in Ontario, back when I had my pathetic camera gear

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful

I really enjoyed the pictures and the Berkeley website. I now have another make of car to put on my wish list. Is there a good place to look for these cars?

Have a nice day
Steve

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
.. Is there a good place to look for these cars?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve, if you're in TN then you're in a good location to find a Berkeley to look at. A lot were sold in your area, and several enthusiastic owners live in Ohio.

You should look at at least one before putting it on your list - most people aren't prepared for just how small and basic they are.

If you're interested in seeing one you can register on the Yahoo Berkeley forum ( https://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Berkeley-USA/ ) and simply ask. I suspect someone will respond pretty quickly.

For more info there are some links on the "Resources" page in the Berkeley section on my site (below). I'm in the process of updating that section now & coincidentally will be adding one for a guy not far from you.

Send me an e-mail if I can help further.

I wonder if you could put a modern superbike engine in one? Doesn't it have a chain driven differential?

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

nice pics

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if you could put a modern superbike engine in one? Doesn't it have a chain driven differential?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it has a chain drive but modern bike engines are too much for the structure without a lot of work. These cars are glass fiber monocoques, with some aluminum & steel gusseting. Putting a really strong engine in the existing mounts doesn't work - within the past 60 days, one owner tore the diff out of the mount on his first ride after converting to a bigger engine.

Some people have built frames and used the bodies as sort of a kit car. That can work, I guess. At least one US car has a Crosley (there we go again with the Crosleys...).

Several Berks have smaller modern bike engines installed and their owners put lots of miles on them. Honda & Suzuki engines in the 350-450cc range seem to work well. Rotax snowmobile engines are sometimes used. There are a few electric Berks also.

Several Mini conversions using the whole Mini front subframe are running around the UK, with at least one in the US.

And, there are a few Berkeley LSR cars with Chevy V8's but they're barely recognizable as Berks.

Many years ago I had a brand new 4 cyl powerhead from a Mercury outboard sitting next to my Berkeley and tried to figure a way to use it. It wouldn't be easy but that seemed a perfect engine. Some problems were obvious - powertrain being the most visible - and some weren't (how to cool it enough for road use).

Today, I think the ideal swap would be an ATV engine & powertrain since you'd get a reverse gear.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]

Many years ago I had a brand new 4 cyl powerhead from a Mercury outboard sitting next to my Berkeley and tried to figure a way to use it. It wouldn't be easy but that seemed a perfect engine. Some problems were obvious - powertrain being the most visible - and some weren't (how to cool it enough for road use).

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy! just build a little trailer with a water tank and hook up a garden hose to the water cooling intake on the marine engine!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif