• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

auto parts store clerk rant

philman

Jedi Knight
I was cleaning the throttle body on the wife's car and broke one of the throttle rod clips (plastic). I thought it would be no problem because the parts should be easily obtainable at any parts store because it is used on many different types and models of cars. I tried the big three stores in our area and got the same blank stare and "dealer item", "if its not on the shelf we don't have it" responses. NOt willing to even try and look in the books. Same clip is used on my Rover manifolds, however all my spares are Righty's and I needed a Lefty.

I went to local u-pull it yard and got the parts I needed off a Volvo for $1 (Wife's car is a Saab).

I went through pretty much the same thing last week when I wanted a machine shop to drill a hole in a new distributor shaft to install a drive gear. I finally gave up and did it my self in less than half an hour. I don't understand why a machine shop would turn down a simple job and lose a happy returning customer.

Country flag
I think it is large part due to the computer generation we live in. If they can't look it up on a hard drive, they can't think for themselves. Not like "the old days" when a parts person knew a thing or two about cars and parts.

Drilling a hole in a steel shaft is drilling a hole in a steel shaft. But if the computer doesn't have the make, year, model, drill bit size, etc., "It can't be done..."

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
not too mention minimum wage employees - you pay peanuts you get monkeys

AweMan

Jedi Knight
I used to be an Auto Parts Store Manager wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the early 70`s. NO computers back then either, We had three sets of parts index books, each set about three feet in legnth. If you couldn`t find the part in those books, it didn`t exist! Most times I didn`t even have to look in the books, I could tell you what part, where it was on the shelf and how much it cost. {except some International and dodge parts, some of them were manufactured by ford and had international or dodge part numbers In which case you had to use the cross refrence books {another three foot set of books} to find out what parts would interchange and many of them did, especialy bearings and brake parts}.
So I DO hear your frustration, I myself get disgusted when looking to assistance in our local automotive parts stores.

Everything back then was done by hand and brain power including posting sales in yet another set of books {inventory control books} and ordering using those books, posting recieved parts in those books Yesssssss all by hand!

When my counter help couldn`t or wouldn`t learn the books {how to use them} I had no qualms about sending them packing.

D

DougF

I will give credit to the workers who care and are helpful or at least try. I get steamed at those who refuse(or maybe don't know how) to read to look things up or put any effort toward customer assistance. I get very irritated at the punks who devote their time to the conversation they are having with another person while they are ringing me up. Then hand over the change and turn right back around to the conversation. No thank you.
Makes you want to shop there again.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I stpped by the local big box parts house the other day - electricity was out because the city was working on a transformer so they had to close! Nobody could do anything without computers!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
"It's a sorry world!" <span style="font-style: italic"> Tim Wilson </span>

We sure sound like our parents, don't we? :wink:

Mickey

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This weekend I had occasion to try to find exhaust manifold gaskets for a Caterham 7. Kent engine with a crossflow head. Went to three of the "big box" houses. Last one (AZ) we tried, the guy was willing to hunt thru the "pages" on the 'pooter but it was futile. A FelPro BOOK would have been much more useful. Went back to the house and rode around in a Moke instead. :smirk:

DeltaAir423

Jedi Trainee
It's not so much parts anymore, it's anyting in a "big box" store. Last weekend I went to rebuild my rear brakes, and before I did that, I dug through my manual, and I saw that "Castrol LMA" was the recommended fluid. Every store I went to that I asked for Castrol LMA, I recieved blank stares. Everyone said "We either have Penzoil or Valvoline DOT 3". Thankfully after some short research on the Castrol site, I found a manufacturers substitution.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And the kid's behind the counters have
a hard time counting change ..... if the
computer doesen't tell them how much it is!

- Doug

bugimike

Yoda
Ain't THAT the truth!! Like Aweman, I too worked in a parts house back in the 70s, mainly IH, Mopar and Mazda and the closest thing to a computer we had was the micro-fiche viewer! It took the place of those yard-long sets of books, even though we also had racks of books for all the non-factory parts too. Back then as beginners we were encouraged to help out the old pros at the counter, running to the racks and pulling the parts, listening and learning and getting to know what and where everything was!! Todays "parts guys" are just cash register jockeys!!

lotuslover

The last time I asked a question in my parts store, the counter person showed a bunch of genric pictures on the computer. He didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. I don't think these young kids have ever worked on anything other than changing the oil in their rice racers.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I respectfully disagree - they don't change the oil either :devilgrin:

BTW, I knew I was getting old the day I started a sentence (in my mind) with "why you young pup!"

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There are exceptions to the rule!

I work with a 23 year old who is a mechanic by day and a parts man by night. He exhibits an attitude of doing all he can to help people. He is smart, honest, and modest. Proof there are a few good ones left.
I do agree, though as I can hardly get the right stuff in my hometown, without telling them what I want.
makes me wonder where we're headed?

Dave

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
In another life time I worked in an auto electrical store/workshop. I can still remember some of the Lucas part numbers. But at our local AZ the Midget is on the computer,so you can get some things.But don't try for anything special. :devilgrin:
Just call Tony!! :thumbsup:

Stuart. :cheers:

OP
philman

philman

Jedi Knight
We still have one of the old time parts stores in town, I went there today and the gal behind the counter wasn't sure what I wanted but she let me look through their parts books (still have them) and she gave me the 1994 price for a part (that's when they stocked it).

I would use them exclusively, but they are kind of out of the way. The gal at the cash register was the first parts store clerk that knew what I was talking about when I asked her for synchro-mesh transmission fluid -- this was several years ago.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
My brother-in-law lives in the panhandle of Fla. He owns a 64 Cobra 289, 04 MINI, Chevy van, PT Cruiser, Miata, and an 04 Mustang Mach 1. He called his local Ford Dealer parts man for a clutch cable for the 04 Mustang. The parts guy wanted the VIN. B-I-L said all cables are the same from 90 something to present except GT500. Parts guy said he needs VIN. B-I-L then hung up and called a Ford Dealer parts man in another town and asked for the same clutch cable. Parts man said, " What year?". B-I-L said," 04!". Parts man said, "Got it!". B-I-L said," I'll be right there!". Now that's a parts man that I remember having years ago. The same thing happens when I walk into my old parts house of 35 years that is family owned. They don't know much about Land Rovers or Jags, MINIs or MGs and etc., but if I know what Chevy, Ford, or Dodge part is close or a number off the part I need, they know how to get it.

swift6

Yoda
Not to be too critical of your B-I-L, but sometimes they ask for the VIN to verify that it has had any/all of the recall's or FSB's taken care of. The rest of the time they are just being obstinate.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I like to deal with places like the local
parts store.I drove the Cortina over,& almost
every employee came out to see it!
I purchased many parts for the Datsun B210
we have,from the same business.When I called about
ordering more parts,I was told that I didn't have
to pay up front,as they knew who I was.

- Doug