• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

At Breakfast This Morning...

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
So the weather is finally nice, and I get an opportunity to drive my 100 Le Mans to breakfast and show off my new wheels and tires to the guys. And then what happens? Some show-off in a 100S parks nose to nose with me! I tell ya, the one-up-mans-ship around here is murder! :laugh:

Attachments

• 20226.jpg
    20226.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 274
Country flag
Wow Reid, those wheels are gorgeous!

And here I thought I had some nice wheels (I might've gotten all__5__of mine for what__1__of those jewels cost... :wink: ).

IMG_7593.jpg

BTW, what ever happened to the 100/S that Ken DeFreese (sp?) had back in the late 70s? As rough as it was back then, I believe it's still the only one I've seen close up. Only time I saw it was after the <span style="font-style: italic">bondo-flares</span> had been chiseled off, leaving the scallop cuts in the fenders (West Coast Conclave '78).

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Reid -

Did you and Bob put any miles on those tires? With the great weekend we just had I dusted off my '65 BJ8 for a quick spin between putting for final touches on the new motor in the '57 racer. I think I'll keep my Avons on it for the first track day at PIR on March 4th. I just know the rain will be back if I'm at the track.

Dougie

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
dougie said:
Did you and Bob put any miles on those tires?

I did three laps. I didn't see Bob's 100S on the track, although it was in the paddock.

I didn't drive particularly hard - I really never do with that car - but the Avons were sticky, all right. They are really soft, despite being the harder version available. The soft version must be really gooey!

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
BTW, what ever happened to the 100/S that Ken DeFreese (sp?) had back in the late 70s? As rough as it was back then, I believe it's still the only one I've seen close up. Only time I saw it was after the <span style="font-style: italic">bondo-flares</span> had been chiseled off, leaving the scallop cuts in the fenders (West Coast Conclave '78).

I forget to whom Ken (Freese) sold it. If you want his email send me a private message or email.

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Reid, those wheels look great. Are they the 16"?.... if so what size tires are you running?...are they from Realm?

Cheers,
Steve Thomton

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Reid--

What tires did you wind up getting and how do you like them?

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Michael Oritt said:
What tires did you wind up getting and how do you like them?

I got the wheels, with tires mounted, from Steve Norton (Cape International). The wheels are of course repros of an old (1950s vintage?) Dunlop pressed steel wheel. These are cast, but look the same. They are true spline-drive wheels that use the same hubs as the wire wheels.

The tires are the Avon ZZ that is so well known and highly respected in the UK and Australia, from what I gather. Not sure why they are virtually unknown here. Mine are the hard compound version, but are probably softer that most race tires - they are really soft!

How do I like them? Well, I like them fine. The cost was staggering, and I have not put many miles on them yet, but I feel sure that they deserve their reputation. Now, how long they will last is another question. These are NOT going to be 50,000-mile tires.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I believe I mentioned that these were the tires Michael Salter had on AHX 12 when we ran the last two Targa Newfoundlands. His comments were that they were great once they warmed up and were not bad in the wet.

I'll be interested in knowing your continuing opinion on them. I considered them as a possibility on my 100--I'm not sure what the size option was and they were indeed very expensive, available through Sasco in VA.

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Reid, still interested in whether these are 15" or 16" wheels and what are the tire sizes? Do you know who manufactures them for Cape?...they look like they might be from Realm.

https://www.realmengineering.com/dunlop%20style%20wheels.html

They are availble in 15" and 16" ... Bruno had 16" on his Endurance car but I don't know what the tire size was.

Thanks,
Steve