• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Antifreeze leak

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I'm running out of things to check, along with antifreeze.

Not the overflow tank or reservoir or whatever that plastic thing is. First thought it was coming out the cap because the radiator was a teensy bit too full (that was a few weeks ago) Not any of the hoses or clamps I could see. Not the water pump which was my next guess.

Put a half gallon of mix in the radiator on Saturday, it was that low again. I haven't checked it today. But yesterday, there was fresh markings. A fair amount. We just had the radiator cleaned (or whatever it is they do to them) early summer.

Any ideas?

BCruzn

Jedi Hopeful
JB, check the sides of your engine, could be a freeze plug has a pin hole in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
With the car running, you should with a very bight flashlight, be able to see the general area where the leak is coming from, ie. water pump, hoses, heater, cap, etc. That being said, let's hope it is not leaking around the head gasket &/or into the oil.

WJM

Hi. Is the floor in the car damp. As it might be the heater core. Check you oil dip stick for any signs of water. Check along each side of the head as you can get a leak there. Is there any sign of fluid on the floor below the car. John

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
Go to Kragens and for $19 you can buy a leak detector. Special light and glasses that makes antifreeze show.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
The floor in the car isn't damp. There's no antifreeze in the oil, tailpipe isn't wet. It's not leaking from the overflow or either of the caps. Yes there is fluid on the floor under the car. A fair amount. I replaced the radiator cap early summer, and we had the radiator worked on early summer (I forget what he did to it, but he put it under pressure, couldn't find any leaks) I checked all the hoses and clamps, particularly where it goes into the heater. I thought it was the water pump, it isn't. There's no petcock on the bottom of the radiator (that I could feel--didn't feel like crawling under the car last night at 11pm. I just can't find any leak anywhere, other than the evidence of one.

There's fresh antifreeze on the pan thingy dahubby made that sits beneath the radiator (made it to deflect the air onto the radiator/engine because of the 'running hot' issue over the summer)

I'm about to give up and take it somewhere and have it tested or find one of those UV things. Dahubby has 'guys night at the garage' tonight, but didn't take the B as he's working in St. Peters and going straight to the shop from work.
leak003.jpg

leak002.jpg

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
We don't have a Kragen's around here, but I'm going to see if AutoZone or O'Reilly's has those.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Jaybird,

Take her out and get her warmed up while she is a little low on coolant and bring her home or somewhere quiet. Turn off the engine and listen for a few minutes. If in the dark, a flashlight will light up steam from a leak. Pay particular attention to the seams, especially around the top of the rad where the coils meet the top chamber. Those leaks are usually hard to spot when you can't hear them, unless you are really lucky.

This is just the type of leak it sounds like from all you have said. It also sounds like it could be a lower hose leak that stops once the pressure runs out...a pressure check will find that more easily, but the above procedure should find it if it in above the water line when if gets low or you can get a good look at the lower hose with a light. It shouldn't be hard to find in this cooler weather.

Good luck!

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I'll do that! Thanks a lot Bruce!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh yeah... watch out for hot stuff when you do do that... I know i've brushed up against one to many things while poking around a hot engine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
Look and see if the fluid is coming out of the overflow tube. I had a radiator cap with the wrong pressure and it let fluid out the overflow tube.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Ya, you're right. Those bits get 'warm.'
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
JB, Bruce has a good point about listening, and then lookiing for steam. A leak like that will tend to evaporate while everything is hot, while leaving tell-tale markings on the floor overnight.
When you had the radiator work done, did they do the pressure test on the radiator only, or pressurize the entire system, as installed in the car?
The UV leak detectors are wonderful things, as the dye will remain visible even after the coolant has evaporated.
Jeff

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Yes they pressurized the tank and found no leaks. Cleaned the tank...

oooh, we took the radiator UP to the shop, out of the car. So they just tested the radiator itself, not the system.

Tomorrow I'm sending dahubby for a UV leak detector. Surely O'Reilly, Autozone, Advanced et al, will have one. And I'll 'detect' tomorrow night after a nice ride. And I'm putting the old radiator cap back on for a while, maybe there's something wrong with the new cap we put on a couple months ago?

Dahubby said we need a water pump. Why I don't know. I was rather busy and not listening to him when he came home last night from 'guys night at the garage.' I mentioned water pump to him a couple weeks ago and he 'shrugged' me off. Maybe I was right??
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
JB, a quick and dirty method is to get a can of spray talcum powder, or Dr. Scholls foot powder, and spray it around the suspect area, after using brake cleaner to clean things up. Let it dry, and then go for a ride. Any leaks, such as from a water pump, will show up as discoloration in the powder.
Cheap, but effective.
People ask me at the race track why I have a can of foot powder in my tool box.
I just drool, and smile vacantly.
Jeff

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"I just drool and smile vacantly" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif JB, he puts his dentures in his pocket when he is a racin.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
No, Keoke, I meant to imply that I didn't wish to impart secrets indiscriminately.
As for the dentures.....well, put 'em in your pocket, or have 'em rammed down your airway during a crash.
Take your pick.
Gimme a break, George, I'm old!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH ! I am sorry it was that Adverb; "Vacantly" that missled me you know something Containing nothing empty.---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif