• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A And the winner is... a TR4!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
As of today, I am the soon-to-be-owner of a 1962 TR4! As I've posted here before, I've been on a car quest for the last 8 months or so, researching and saving money. I had narrowed down the search to MK1-2 Spitfire, Bugeye, MGB (early), and TR4.

This one came up on the VTR classifieds, and I had very nice chat with the owner. The car is described as mostly original (alternator conversion, but includes the old generator) and a strong runner. Car has an overdrive, with new wiring but without the solenoid hooked up. Only rust is described as the floorboards/footwells (so I'll be learning to weld soon). We agreed on what I consider a fair price.

So I'm driving up to Portland, OR on Sunday (from Utah) to go get the car. We agreed that if I get there and the car is not as described, I can walk away. Got a real nice vibe off the seller--she seemed happy to be selling it to someone who would finish her restoration work and enjoy it as the hobby car it is.

So why did I go with this one? Essentially, I took the advice of a member of this board who recommended diving on in. This car seems to be what I am looking for--a slightly tattered but essentially sound car, with the features I was looking for, close enough that I could retrieve it myself and be able to look it over in person before handing out the cash.

Thanks to all for putting up with all my questions so far, and thanks in advance for all the answers to come!

--Drew

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
My first Triumph was a '62 TR4 that I bought in '65. What a good car that was. I always liked the way the entire top came off and the hood sticks folded under the rear upholstery. It gives the car a really clean look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Congratulations Drew. You made the correct choice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kewl! Will be looking forward to seeing it at one of the BMCU runs!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Congratulations. As much as I like Spitfires, I'd have to say the TR4 is a better car.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm really excited! I just finalized the trailer rental plans, so all looks to be a go for a quick run to the northwest. I still like Spitfires, Bugeyes, and MGBs, and plan to own them all some day. This car just came up and felt right.

Assuming all goes well, I should have it registered and insured right away (current owner has it registered now). Can't wait to finally make a BMCU meeting with an actual British car!

-Drew

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Congratulations Drew!

You chose the very *best* LBC model and even got the correct year!

Of course, I *am* a bit biased....

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Good choice. I drove TR3s all my adult life but didn't have a TR4 until well into my 50s... what a fine car these are. Look forward to seeing pics of yours.

G

[ QUOTE ]
I still like Spitfires, Bugeyes, and MGBs, and plan to own them all some day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THATS the kind of attitude I like to see in a fellow car enthusiast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Make sure you take some pics when you get home so we can all see your new toy.

TR4

Jedi Knight
I will add that I think you made a terrific choice. The older 4's with the metal dash have a much better look to me than the wooden dash models like mine. Post some photos so I can drool.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Drew ,good choice and a good plan, but what is this trailer you speak of??? What earthly purpose can this thing serve when you have a running TR4???? I would suggest that the drive along the river is too cool to be trailer-bound, have them follow you at a safe distance.
MD(mad dog)
CT 14275 LO

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest that the drive along the river is too cool to be trailer-bound, have them follow you at a safe distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very tempting, but it's a looong drive from Portland, Oregon to Utah, and I have minimal time to make the trip. Besides, My co-driver (my wife) is not all that comfy pulling a trailer.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I agree its a long drive, we drove out to Portland in 2000 for the VTR. The 63 purred the entire way, all 5500 miles. We did have to replace a ruined tire on the road and run the last 1000 without a tach as the 40yr old cable bit the bigone... all in all the best road trip of my whole life.
MD(mad dog)

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm looking forward to many good road trips in the future, once I have a chance to get to know the car a little better and learn its quirks. So many good roads to check out. Big smiles to look forward to...