• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AC Cars to be built in US?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't think that 'invasion' will last very long!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
"The new plant will build cars that sell for between $90,000 and $150,000."

Sadly my bet will be they won't be around too long.

Bruce

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that 'invasion' will last very long!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should clarify my reference to an 'Invasion' In addition to AC, the other thread on Elva, which talks about selling in the US, and some rumors about TVR (that I can't find confirmation for) it looks like there might be some modern British vehicles to be had soon ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
None of us TVR guys can confirm it either. Just talk, it really doesn't make sense as a business model at that price point.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Like I said, the 'invasion' won't last long!

G

Dunno about that. I'd be a lot more likely to buy a sagaris than an ac. I'd sell all the other cars (and a kidney) to be at the top of the list if they ever came over.

Price would have to be comparable or less to a 997C4S but I don't see why it wouldn't sell then...

swift6

Yoda
Nearly agree with alana here. I saw a Sagaris at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 04. I still drool on the picture.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Not many people can afford a $70k car, and likely those that can will buy a Porche or a Lexus because of dealer network, service and marque history. I love the Sagaris but would really find it hard to justify that kind of $$ for a part time car.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know. I worked at a Superformance dealer for a couple of years(Superformance ,builder of replica cobras, daytona coupes, and now a GT40, is owned by the same person who has the rights to AC) and I was suprised at how many $60k "hot rods" they sell nation wide in a year. I wonder if they'll try to incorperate the new AC cars into the exsisting Superformance network.
If they are going to be built by the same group, they have already produces some superb vehicles, and are doing some amazing things. But It's all in South Africa right now.

Country flag

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
I'm all for it. If TVR came to this country, I would be one of their biggest supporters but I just cannot see it being successful unless they offer some more economically priced models. Get some cars in the $40k range and they'd have a shot.

G

Quote "Not many people can afford a $70k car"

You'd be surprised, especially in the Tristate area - and AC are building just down the road from there. As a perspective, remember the new Mercedes 'minivan' comes in at 70k+ now when you load it up.

Let's see how many of those sell in a year. Personally I hope none because it's ugly, but we'll see...

Country flag
Its a shame but the ers of the cheap sports car is over, there's nothing like the Midget or Spitfire made anymore. The demise of Triumph and MG as sport cars manufacturers has left a hole that none of the others have the capacity to fill- its economies of scale that would make the cars affordable. Something no independent manufacturer can manage without the opportunity of piggy-backing on more mainstream models. So highly desirable cars from Morgan, Lotus, TVR, Bristol, Marcos, etc. remain expensive British domestic (almost exclusively so) products. And its a real shame, for the export market would make them more affordable here too. We all lose....

G

James - you mean British sports cars don't you?

I mean it's not my thing at all, but I'd still describe the Miata as a sportscar, especially if you are going to give that accolade to the Midget. They sure have sold a lot of Miatas in the last few years.

Country flag
I do indeed, I ought to have qualified my comment.

The British manufacturers simply failed to respond to the changing environment (notably American safety regulations and the declining sales of mainstream products in their home market) and the Japanese were more willing to develop products that competed.

All of the European manufacturers of "popular" sports cars were affected. No more Fiat X1/9s or 124s (they had one, but I've not seen any new for a while), no Volvo P1800, no Opel GTs, no Saab Sonnets, and what's most relevent in the forum, no more Healeys, Triumphs or MGs.

One of the best studies is: "At the End of the Road : the Rise and Fall of Austin-Healy, MG, and Triumph sports cars", by Timothy R. Whisler. Really academic with lots of graphs, statistics and analytical BS but it basically boils down the British management trying to milk a good thing for too, too long without puting anything back or doing anything new until too, too late.

No slight meant to Mazda, or Toyota, or Nissan, or....

G

Well to be fair there wasn't much work being done in most of the industrial sector of Britain for most of the early seventies either. That's not all the fault of the management. I wonder if BL would still be there if the workers had actually done some work rather than striking at the drop of a hat...