• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

99 Astro Van Transmission

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK. Bret's post got me thinking that maybe what I need to know is right where I was all along. You guys know everything else so maybe you can help with this one.

I've got a 99 Astro with the little 6cyl RWD. The rear of the transmission is leaking ATF. It used to be only when it was parked on the slope of the driveway but now it's been parked on the flat spot for a couple of months (another story - too many cars) and it has started leaking again. It appears to be coming from right at the rear of the tranny.

Is there a seal in there that is easily replaced? Could it be the back of the pan gasket? Any suggestions?

First off I guess I should go buy a manual for it.

I've poked around on the web for this and have yet to find a place that has an answer. I've gotten used to this amazing group of British Car support and the help of friends in the local club and I guess I'm just spoiled.

I figured that a quick google of the Astro problem would pop up something similar..... Not even close.... Pages and pages of knuckleheads who love to hear themselves talk about what a piece of crap the Astro is and just go on and on about all their problems but I've yet to find a place where people actually address these complaints. The ubiquitous cult of victimhood... ugh...

This is why I have been in love with british cars my entire life... We know them, we love them, we understand them, we fix them ourselves, and we help other people with problems.

Count your blessings....

steve99

Jedi Trainee
Hi Jim,

The best suggestion I could offer would be to clean the trans as best you can. either with a degreaser and a garden hose, or a can of carb spray. Then keep a closr eye on it when driven next. Something else to keep in mind however, you may have oil coming from more than one place. I you clean it up, and keep an eye on it, this should tell you. Also, dont let the trans fluid level get low, that gets real expensive in a hurry if it gets too low.

Steve

G

Most transmissions have a doughnut seal of some type in the tail housing for the output shaft. Sometimes easy to replace, sometimes not. Just did the one in the TR6 last week. If you drop the driveshaft you should be able to see what kind of setup there is on the end of that shaft. Might be some type of big crown nut holding a splined flange on, with the seal pressed in behind that, something like that. Pan gasket is an easy fix usually (but messy), thats not an uncommon area for a leak. If you replace that you can also clean the screen and replace the filter, if there is one, while you're in there. I'd say, between the two, the odds are higher for a failed pan gasket than rear seal, at least in my experience. First thing though, get a good shop manual before doing anything, and take steves advice and clean everything really well. After that you might be able to pinpoint the source of the leak much easier without having to tear 6 things apart trying to nail it.

OP
jsneddon

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Scott and Steve.

I should have followed my own advice before posting I guess. Spent the 15 bucks for a Haynes and discovered just how simple a job it was.

It turned out to be the rear seal. 4 bolts and 2 seals later (I tapped just a little too hard with my BFH on the first one) and it's all better.

***special bonus tip***

the float bowl for a SU H6 carb is exactly the right diameter for hammering home a Chevy Astro rear transmission seal!

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]

the float bowl for a SU H6 carb is exactly the right diameter for hammering home a Chevy Astro rear transmission seal!

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh ... "Necessity is the mother of invention" ... I bet Plato was a shade tree mechanic!