• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 60 TR-3A Timing chain cover.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Afternoon.
From what I have read in various manuals there is suposed to be some sort of sound deadning material on the front of the timing chain cover. I just bead blasted mine and there was nothing on it but the black laquer it was dipped in.
Any thoughts on this one would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Tinkerman

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Some sources (incl the Moss catalog) suggest that the glop was always present. My nearly original TR4 does not have it (cover is painted black).

My TR3A also lacks it... though not original I doubt any PO would have gone to the trouble of removing it as they went to no trouble to do anything else (good) to the car.

I suspect some got it and some didn't.

D

DougF

I believe many people may have knocked them off when working on the engines because they certainly didn't look like something the manufacturer would have done. They almost resembled a large smudge of grease or dirt. They may have fallen off over the years.
If you want to duplicate it, it could probably be done with an epoxy, hand formed into position. Then paint over it.
Don't make any attempt to make it look fancy.

G

When I bought my TR6 it had a huge lump of what looked like hardened bondo on the front of the timing chain cover, same color and texture. I assumed that it shouldn't have been there and pried it off, thankful to find that it wasn't plugging up some hole or leak in the cover. A while later I read somewhere about this sound deadening thing, very strange. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Yes, my '62 TR4 originally had that "glop" on the front engine cover.

It looked like a thick Bondo smear that no one ever grated, sanded or finished in any way. In fact, Bondo might work well, or a semi-hardening auto body seam sealer. The surface would need to be very clean for these to stay on, though.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Don't make any attempt to make it look fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Described by a former Standard/Triumph employee as "looking like the last of a batch of body filler applied by a blindfolded man using a wooden spoon".

G

[ QUOTE ]
looking like the last of a batch of body filler applied by a blindfolded man using a wooden spoon

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gifThats funny.

OK, what exactly is this stuff supposed to be deadening? Vibration and noise from the chain rattling around inside the cover? As I said I pulled mine off some time ago, but the motor sounds no different now than it did before.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The timing chain tensioner is a curved piece of spring steel that presses agenst the side of the cover. That transferrs a lot of noise into the cover, that without the deadner, acts as an amplifier for all that noise.
Most of the deadner I've seen has been black, hardened tar-like stuff that definatly was not applied with much care. My 66 TR4A had it but it fell off in one big chunk without any effort. That may be what happened to some who know that it was never taken off on purpose.

G

Yeah, I remember seeing how tight the tensioner is in there from the last few weeks when I had the front of my motor off. Here's another question, is this particular to Triumph motors alone or are there other LBC manufacturers that slapped this stuff on as well?