• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Timing Chain Cover Crack TR3...#%€£¥^%

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
Just replaced the fan ,rad and apron after installing new speedi sleeve,cover seal and gasket only to find the leak was really coming from a crack in the vicinity of the timing chain tensioner. I remember replaciing a timing cover many years ago because the tensioner had worn thru the cover. guess it happened again. I have a spare cover but I'll have to pull everything apart all over again :-(. I suppose it might be possible to sand down the leaking area and apply epoxy steel compound but it looks like there is a kind of bump where the leak is so there might be another issue with the tensioner or support pin that I should really investigate. Anybody else had this problem in the past?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I feel your pain but somehow you have ended up posting on the Spridget forum, when, judging by the heading you seem to want the Triumph forum.

good luck!

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I had a broken tensioner wear through the cover as well. I would only consider getting it welded for repair options - too much headache to pull as you unfortunately know. Sorry!

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
Re: Timing Chain Cover Crack TR3..Update

I decided to try patching the crack in the cover.I sanded down the bad area with some medium sandpaper. Next I cleaned the surface with brake cleaner. I applied JB Weld in stick form. It's a 2part epoxy putty that you knead into a patch. Let it sit overnight. No more leak. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it holds and do a proper replacement in the winter.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag

Well, I hope it works...but wouldn't get my hopes up too much. If it wore through the steel, I don't think the epoxy will last too terribly long. But, who knows!

John

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

Did a temporary repair like that on my old JD track loader transmission. Dropped a nut inside and it came out through the side, making a golf ball size hole. Two part epoxy and good as new. Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag

TomMull said:
Did a temporary repair like that on my old JD track loader transmission. Dropped a nut inside and it came out through the side, making a golf ball size hole. Two part epoxy and good as new. Tom

I'm sure it is...but in this case the tensioner will be pressing with some considerable force against the patch. I doubt that was the case with a tranny case.

Like I said, I do hope it works.

John

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag

I should clarify the type of crack that I was dealing with. It seems like it was kind of a V shaped flap. I'm hoping that the Epoxy will seal hard enough to keep the flap down. I know what you mean though about the tensioner pressure. Years ago I had to replace a timing cover as the tensioner had worn right thru to daylight. In any event it's summer and I just want to get some driving in rather than pull the whole thing apart again. Your concern is well taken and I'm definitely going to keep my eye on the repair. Seems like I'm always glancing under the car to check for leaks. :smile:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

Point well taken, John. However if I'm not mistaken I don't think the tensioner does the damage, rather an errant chain. In my case, there was very little wear at the point where the tensioner is supposed to contact on cover. Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
karls59tr said:
crack in the vicinity of the timing chain tensioner. I remember replaciing a timing cover many years ago because the tensioner had worn thru the cover. guess it happened again.

I think it will get you through the summer...!

John

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When mine wore through I found that the tensioner had broken and that caused the wear through.

Dan B