• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"356A Speedster" Repro: Who has one in NE PA Area

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks;

I`m typ on the Triumph Forum and posted the same request: I am "Thinking" about buying a "356A Porsche" Reproduction mfg by Classics of Florida:

I`ve never been in One! Never driven One! Who out there may know of someone Who either has one relatively Local to myself & or Knows of someone who has one? NE PA:

What are some of Your Folks feelings out there relative to the Driving, Performance, Nostalgia etc of these Rdstrs?

Regards & /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif Russ

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
I know lots about VWs ,

I guess the first question is what price range are you looking to buy one ?

And do they need state inspections , emmisions check in your state ?

Beaulieu

PS....I would love to buy a real 356 Speedsters , even a total rust bucket

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: "356A Speedster" Repro: Who has one in NE PA

Finding a 356 as a "project" car is kinda rare these days. A shame, really. I don't think I'd mess with a repro.
Like buying a fake Rolex...
Strictly for posers. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Doc:

What about a beck?

Pat

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda

Hi There Beaulieu;

I know that they Sell for Mid Teens (Used) to Mid Twenties (New); Beck For Example:

Relative to Inspections etc; It All depends on how Its Titled! Ex: If she is 20 - 25yrs young; She gets Titled as a "Classic Car" with Plates to match (You need to have Inspections etc): If she is 25+yrs young; She gets Titled as an "Antique Car" with Plates to match, then You need not have to do anything!

So; If she was built on a `72 VW Pan; She would be considered an "Antique" here in PA; Presuming the Title read `72 VW or something like that:

It may also be considered a "Special Interest Car" which would require Inspections etc: You really have to know "What`s on the Title"!!

Emission Testing in PA is a Joke! Inspections are a Joke! I know a Gent who would virtually Pass anything for a Price! Avg cost here for Inspections can range from $15.00 to $35.00; Pending how hungry the "Independant Inspection Station Owner is"! There are No State Inspection Facilities Here:

Thanx for the Input;

Regards, Russ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

GB1 said:
Doc:

What about a beck?

Pat

This is JUST my take, but: Ya can find a clean mid-to-late '80's 911 for about the same money! Why buy a "thing" if you want a Porsche?!? I reiterate my Rolex analogy.
Four cam Carrera 2 356's (GS) are about the only ones really interesting anyhow. Otherwise, just find/buy a split-window Beetle! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

I typed a response here the other night..but it vanished! intresting.
Anyhoo.
I've had some seat time in a Speedster kit.
It had been built on a VW chassis, with mostly new suspension parts, upgraded brakes,and a "warmed over" motor. and it had a lot of genuine 356 parts to make it a bit more authentic feeling.
I personally really liked the car. It drove and handled well, and having drivin a few original 356 coupes, I can say it was very near a true 356. They were pretty close back then anyway aside from power.
A kit car really hinges on the skill level of the person who screwed it togeather.
Just like replica Cobras. I've drivin some amazing examples, and some that I coulden't wait to get out of.
The replica 356 I drove was done well. It was tight and a comfortable car to be in.
I still regret not getting it. I could have had it for $8K.
Duh.
I understand, and respect your opinion , but I have to disagree Doc. An original 356 speedster is fetching 70-80 grand or better. If you want that look, and feel, the 356 kits are big bang for the buck. I would look for one that's already been built (well) and just finish it to my liking.
A 356 is a different world from a 911.

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior

THe recent Beck cars are made in Brazil,
I am not even sure if Chuck beck even has a hand in these anymore,

The 550s are also made mostly in Brazil but I believe Chuck still does a few here in the USA,

There are 5 or so fiberglass Speedster makers in North America,
Intermechania started making them in Southern california in the 70s and is now out of BC canada , these are the best,

Then there are a few others that make them, Classic in Florida have done it for a long time ,
Also there is at least one company in Mexico doing them

to me panel fit is the most important , and how good the fiberglass was made, check for waves in the glass

I think in the $15k range they are a fun toy , but at $25-$30 like some seem to sell on ebay , well you could buy a real car for that !

Beaulieu

And yes I wanted a crustu rusty original speedster project , finders fee paid !

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin