• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"356 SPEEDSTER" rerpo: Who has one in the NE?

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks;

I`m considering "Potentially" buying a "356 Speedster"; Repro of Course! I`ve never had one & surely can`t afford the "Real Thing"!

I`ve never driven one & would Love the Opportunity of doing so: I live in the Pocono Mtns of PA:

Who out there in PA, NJ, NY or LI would have one I can view and Perhaps Test Drive?

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif Russ

Email to: toysrus@ptd.net

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
WoW; I just can`t believe there are`nt any of these "356s" in the NE:

I`ve put this on one of the Porsche Forums as well & No Go: Plenty of these devils out in CA but Not Here!

Oh Well; Perhaps for the Better:

See Ya All Later;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Russ:

On occasion I go past High Marques in nearby Morristown, NJ.
Once in a while they have a Porsche replica...usually a Beck Spyder. But I have seen Speedsters there too (not sure if they were replicas...didn't stop to look).
I've seen the big Healey in their inventory (they had two for a while). It's real nice, but thye want $50 K for it.
Why not give them a call and see if they have a lead on a 356 replica? Their website is:

https://www.highmarques.com/inventory/

Also, check the Samba classified section. This is the Holy Grail of air-cooled VW stuff on the internet. This link is to the first page....don't forget to look at page 2, page 3, etc.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=59

Finally, if you're still looking next May, you should go to the Carlise Kit Car/Import show

https://www.carsatcarlisle.com/import/index.asp

Bret

Yoda
toysrrus said:
Plenty of these devils out in CA but Not Here!
Sure are! In fact there’s a classic & exotic car dealer here in San Diego that sells those 356 Speedster replicas’ along with one of the best GT-40 replicas’ I’ve ever seen.

Probably why you see so many out here is that alot of them are actually made out here in southern Kalifornia and the fiberglass bodies are actually made in Mexico.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
"Thanx Nials" for the info:

Nials; Check out ebay under Jags - E-Types; You`ll find "Jim Vollmuths" Opalescent Green `67 there:

I emailed Jim & mentioned that the Only E-Types that I have ever seen in an Opalescent Color is Blue (Silvery Blue) but Never "Green":

Anyways; Take a Peek;

Thanx Again; Russ

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Russ...I know I'm an ebay addict but Replica's usually always have 3 or 4 of them and sometimes a couple even in the actual Porsche 356 listings...should oyu decide to start shopping!

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Bidder & Nials;

Hey; I just went to that "Samba" site & there`s a Real Nice Blk on Blk one in E. Orange, NJ:

I shot him an email to view the car: I just might get a chance to see what one of these things feels like! "Can`t Wait"!

Bidder; I`m on ebay at least daily & In the Porsche 356 Area: They`re there all right but None on the East Coast or Rarely!

Thanx Folks; Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Russ I prefer to look at the originals....to have the real thing is they are much more price competitive as long as the drive train, engine and frame are solid you can recreate everything else as you want dsigned... and give you all the options on expending the rebuild,,,,

Here's a good starter right now

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-Pors...1QQcmdZViewItem

Bret

Yoda
Boy Bibber, that thing's rough!

Sure an original would be nice, but for a few grand more than the "buy it now price" for that rolling excuse to check if you tetanus shot is up to date, you could get a reproduction, drive it now and not have to worry about the added cost of restoring it and then being afraid to drive it afterwards.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Russ:

Glad you found "The Samba" useful.
When I win the lottery, that's where I'll go for my 23 window bus and a Type 1 Split-Window.

I've seen Jim V's Jaguar E-type at Pete's...it's nice (but I *really* like his flat-rad Morgan).
I did not see it on e-Bay because I gave up after seeing that there was over 250 listing for E-types.
If you want to send me the link, I'd have a look at it....otherwise, searching e-Bay gives me a headache!

I'd agree that the real 356 coupe above looks like it'll need $25,000 worth of work to be presentable. For most of us, a replica might be a better deal. In '69 I had a chance to buy a 356 coupe that was much nicer than that for $800 and I thought it was too expensive. The same year, I test drive a 3.8 E-type roadster aking $900 and turned it down too. Ended up with an TR3 (for $250).
Things have changed!

By the way, it's "Nial".

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Folks;

Nials: The E-Type Listing # is: 300139737958: I agree; The Morgan is Sweet but Jim is`nt parting; At least not yet!

Relative to the 356s: My personal preferance is only a Rdstr / No Coupes:

Real 356s are bringing "Ridiculous Figures": Why, I have no idea? There`s really not much to them: I guess its called "Supply & Demand": The "Realistically Priced" ones are typ. Rust Buckets & "Restored Driver Cond"; Well, I don`t have to tell You, Big $$$: Beyond My Means!!

So; The next best thing is a "Reproduction": I had a "Factory Five Racing" Cobra that I really liked but the darn thing was just "Too Scary Fast" for me!

The Blk on Blk 356 Speedster in W. Orange is an "Intermecanica" / Banjo Steering Wheel / 2110 CC Engine / 3:88 gears etc etc: I emailed the Seller last night & will call this AM to view the car: I`ve never driven one of these things and I`m "Dying" to find out what they feel like!

Thanx Again Nials; Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

PS: Nials; Will you be at Pocono on the 14th? If yes; I`ll see you there (As a Spectator)!

G

toysrrus said:
WoW; I just can`t believe there are`nt any of these "356s" in the NE:

I`ve put this on one of the Porsche Forums as well & No Go: Plenty of these devils out in CA but Not Here!

Oh Well; Perhaps for the Better:

See Ya All Later;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Russ,
Not for nothing, but if you had a $25,000-$35,000 356 replica would you let just anybody come by and take it for a test drive? When I take my (cheap by comparison) Spitfire to my good friend and mechanic, I wait and I do all the test driving. There is a Triumph on Ebay right now with an addition to description that it was damaged during a test drive in the middle of the auction. That must suck.
I wouldn't take a lack of replies personally.
Jim

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Strikle;

Here`s what I typ. do relative to a "Test Drive":

#1: I "DON`T" drive other peoples cars especially if I`m not familiar with them as the "356": Should I "Be Familiar" with one; Such as a TR3 / 4 or 6; I let the Owner drive first & "If" he/she asks If I would like to test drive it; Then only on some Back Road thats Traffic Free:

#2: I would be Sick If someone hit me or vica-versa with a car I did`nt own; Insured to the Max or Not!

I saw that one on ebay but I missed the part with the "Test Drive Incident": I have to go back & read that:

Have a Sunny Day;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
I have run into two "urban legend type buys" on old cars in the last few years and one is of a 356. First, I have a buddy (Robert) who has one which is a concours restoration and he drives it just a little. But, through my wifes business I met a person who when we got to talking about our hobbies told me about the 356 he sold recently to make room for his vintage dirt biking in his garage. He'd bought the car 15 ot 20 yrs ago with a blown motor, found somebody that could rebuild the motor, then restored the body and interior and just lost interest in it. He said a "friend" found somebody on the east coast that was interested in it and he flew in, looked at it and bought it for $10,000. I never saw the car but told him I was sure he left a lot of money on the table. Robert told me later that $35,000 would have been a place to start, witch the value of the car could have been more or less depending on the cost of the car.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
kc..you're right on...I actually started looking at 356's the replica's are nice and in most cases more reliable but I just like to know it's genuine and other collectors know as well...don't get me wrong replicas have their place just not in my garage....however, price wise I could only swallow either a jnker that would probably never see the street or later years and went with a 1983 911..targa of course for open air....it ran GREAT and just needed cosemtic work and is still a blast to drive...

Russ unless it just has to be a 356...the later year cabriolet's are still pretty sweet!!!!!

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks;

I posted a Want Ad for a 356 Speedster on this Forum: https://www.speedsterowners.com

Its "Almost" as good as the BCF:

I had quite a few replies from "Local Owners" who are willing to show-off their Speedsters and actually let me drive them:

Friendly, Informative bunch, These 356 people are!

Lets See What happens;

Regards, Russ

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
Anyone know where a real "project" steel 356 speedster is hiding ?

I just got paid off on a loan and have some cash to spend /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If you know of one sitting around please P-mail me

I can even buy you some trinkets for your British car if I buy it !

THanks for your help, tetanus shots already up to date /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Beaulieu

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks

Here`s some findings of mine in the past couple of weeks:

"REAL SPEEDSTERS": Basket Case $30K-$50K / Driver Cond $50K-$60K / Restored-Forget about it; $70K+!!!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

"BECK SPEEDSTERS": Tubular Chassis / 1600cc engine / Some bells & whistles / 5 pages of options / Base Price $22K: Loaded up $35K-$50K: /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

"INTERMECCANICA": Tubular Chassis / 1750cc engine / Lots of bells & whistles / 5 pages of options / Base Price $36K: Loaded up $45K-$55K: /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

"Used Speedsters": Best Buy! Forget about "Fiberfab-Junk"; "CMC"-Out of Bus. The Intermeccanica one that I looked at in W. Orange, NJ was pretty darn nice & Quite Orig looking: 2110cc engine w/Twin Webers, ran out real well: $15K obo: /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

"SUMMARY": If your going to spend $70K+ for a "Real" Speedster; Well; Heck; You can buy a Super Sweet "Jag E-Type Rdstr" for Less: If your going to spend $35K-$50K for a "New Build Reproduction" Speedster that`s "NOT" going to appreciate; Same applies as above to an "E-Type"!

I suspect It boils down to "What You have in Your back pocket"!!!!

Gone Car Shopping;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif