• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG Midget in distress.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent! Looks like a great shop for working on the Midget.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Now all I have to do is get the power hooked up, lights installed, floor sealed, benches made and the MG into the shop.

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Now all I have to do is get the power hooked up, lights installed, floor sealed, benches made and the MG into the shop.

David
So, by the weekend then? :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nice! Looks like there's enough height for a two-post lift!

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There is but I did not get steel in the concrete slab. It is thick enough because the guy that poured it messed up and made it 6" not 4" like I wanted. It cost him 1 1/2 yards of concrete because he was an honest guy and charged me what he quoted.
I was out of town when he poured it and I only found out about the thickness mistake because a friend was there and he told me that Johnnie had to eat the extra concrete. He said Johnnie called the concrete co cussing them for shorting him. Then my friend said look at the forms they are 6" not 4"
I have an inspection pit in the other garage so I can get under the cars easily and it is cooler in summer.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We have the MG Midget in the shop. Now I can find out what I have got myself into.

David
Mg Midget in te shop s.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
quite a project!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So now the fun begins. I think that will mostly buff out.

grichn

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have restored several Midgets and have lots of bits left over to prove it! They ranged from a USA car , (I live in Spain now), to a Californian car I found on a driveway in Liverpool where it had languished for 15 years.... You will have a load of fun with this car, take your time, I usually take 6 months to go from wreck to pristine. Good luck!

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
So far it seems that Triumph or the PO used a random selection of metric and SAE bolts. I think it must have been Triumph as the top left and right hand bolts on the radiator shroud are SAE and the bottom pair are Metric.

I plan to remove the engine and transmission to refresh/rebuild which ever is necessary. That will make the other work in the engine bay area easier.
The smog system has been partially deleted. I need to find out what I need to do to get a good setup. The PO had installed Webbers badly so I plan to go back to the SU carbs. I picked up a pair with manifold.
Taking lots of photos.

David

Pat MM

Country flag
The Midget looks like a great project! And your garage is looking perfect for an LBC rebuilding shop…it’s so nice to have some space to work in that’s not all cluttered up.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good on you for taking this one on. Looking forward to following along on this one -- hoping for some inspiration to get working on my Bugeye

So far it seems that Triumph or the PO used a random selection of metric and SAE bolts. I think it must have been Triumph as the top left and right hand bolts on the radiator shroud are SAE and the bottom pair are Metric.

Shouldn't be any metric on there, guessing a PO used what they had. Something I liked when I did my first Bugeye, could get the nuts and bolts from the local hardware store.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Making good progress.

Engine and transmission are out. I think I will get a compression tester to see where I am starting from.
The car came with an oil cooler. The hoses for the oil cooler are huge for such a small engine. You can see one that I have looped back from the inlet to the outlet to keep trash out of the system.

They make getting to things like the distributer tough.
David

DSCN4763.JPG

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's just nice to see another one that won't make it to the crusher. Good on ya bro'.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank you.

Giving it a better look over the body seems in good condition rust wise. There is a bit of damage on the drivers side rear that has been bondoed up. Will dig that out and all the other patches of bondo I can find. In the boot passengers side the rear spring hanger has a small hole along the back corner. No other rust in the area that I can see at the moment. Will remove the rear spring hanger to get a better look.

Trying to get my head around what has been done to the wiring.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Got the engine and transmission separated and it looks like a clutch is needed as the friction disc is worn a bit and the pressure plate pressure pad seems to have some cracking.
Spun the engine over to do a compression test. Not very good at 30, 30, 50, and 60. but the oil pressure was good at 60. I knew I was going to do an engine overhaul but was interested to see how bad it was.
Making progress on the battery shelf area.

My HF sand blast cabinet works great now since I did some mods to it. The final one being to add a blower from an old vacuum cleaner to keep the dust clear in the cabinet.

David
battery shelf area s.jpg
Battery tray 2 s.jpg

brake and clutch pedal sand blasted.jpg

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank you.

Incidentally the material is repurposed Bank storage shelving.
Some years ago a local bank donated a lot of shelving to the school where my wife is a teacher. When the school had picked out all they needed they asked if anyone wanted the remaining shelves. I jumped at it and have been repurposing them ever since.

This is what the shelf looked like when I got the Midget.

David
Battery shelf before repair.jpg