• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG Midget in distress.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good luck with the rebuild! Nice to see another one brought back.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
good luck! RE: Tires - check walmart - 13" tires are getting somewhat harder to find but general purpose tires are pretty cheap (like in the $40-50 range last time I looked) Mind you with Covid :rolleyes2:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
And, down the rabbit hole again. This one does seem to check all the right boxes with the round wheel arch and the 1275.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Need to find some books so I can figure out what I have as far as engine.

The tag on the block reads . 12V/587Z/L 936

Probable going to pull the engine/transmission and overhaul it as I have no idea of its condition.

Started getting all the junk out of it and all the carpets out so I can get a good look at the floor. Under the sound deadening material on the passenger side floor I found some rust that I could poke a screwdriver through So some floor work is needed.

Will probable put it up on stands so I can get the wheels attended to and fit OK tires as I found that second hand rollers may be hard to find.

The wiring is going to take some restoration as there seem to be lots of odd wires cutoff but that is down the road.

Not sure if the manifold clamps are factory.
Seats out s.jpg
manifold 2 s.jpg
block number s.jpg

David

RickF

Country flag
The 12V 1275 was the last version of the A-series engine used in Midget. It's a good engine and can be massaged to be quite powerful or just used in stock form. I ran one in my vintage race Bugeye until this summer. The mismatch on the manifolds is because both manifolds are aftermarket parts. Interesting that the radio console is mounted upside down.

Rick

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank you.

I thought the Exhaust manifold looked after market but was unsure about intake.

What carbs normally go on the 1275?

I still need to find some books on the Midget.

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

RickF

Country flag
Thank you.

I thought the Exhaust manifold looked after market but was unsure about intake.

What carbs normally go on the 1275?

I still need to find some books on the Midget.

David
The car came from the factory with dual SU HS2 carburetors. The book most consider the bible on the Midget is Terry Horler's "Original Sprite & Midget". It goes into great detail from the first Sprites to the last Midget on how they were built and fitted out. The Bentley manual is in my opinion the best service manual. It is a reprint of the factory manual and includes drivers handbooks. Haynes manual is ok in a pinch.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank you for the information.
I have ordered the Haynes book and will look around for the Bentley book.

Are the SU carbs and Manifold hard to find? I know the SU so would prefer them if I can find a pair.

Found some rust in the floor. Drivers side is not too bad and the passenger side will require more work.

David

RickF

Country flag
Thank you for the information.
I have ordered the Haynes book and will look around for the Bentley book.

Are the SU carbs and Manifold hard to find? I know the SU so would prefer them if I can find a pair.

Found some rust in the floor. Drivers side is not too bad and the passenger side will require more work.

David
Carbs and manifold are easy to find, they pop up on ebay all the time. I would try to find a set from a later A-series Midget ('70-'74) as they have ports for a crankcase ventilation system that works really well and does not use a PCV valve.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You have got to love DPOs wiring mods.
Wiring mod s.jpg

Is the piece of woodwork factory? Trying to remove all the PO additions. I am assuming it is not original.
woodwork s.jpg

The engine spins after a few days with WD40 down the plug holes. I think I will still pull the head to check out the condition of things.

David

RickF

Country flag
You have got to love DPOs wiring mods.
View attachment 72917

Is the piece of woodwork factory? Trying to remove all the PO additions. I am assuming it is not original.
View attachment 72918

The engine spins after a few days with WD40 down the plug holes. I think I will still pull the head to check out the condition of things.

David
Not sure what that piece of wood is supposed to be, but it's not from the factory. 😁

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Have to admit, the DPO did try to keep it running!

I seem to remember when Berthe Benz drove her husband's first auto (1888), and repaired the fuel line with part of her silk stocking.

Motorwagen_Serienversion.jpg

Whatever it takes.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
No wood in a Midget.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Kind of what I thought but it is best to ask. Have to find out what is under it. Hope the floor does not drop out when I take out the last screw.
I did find one of the POs insurance cards behind the radio. Dated 2011 to 2012 so I know it was a driver at that point.
The company I retired from still uses plywood in part of their machine. Stainless Steel would probable be cheaper in the long run but they stuck with plywood.

David

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Actually there were wood strips under the seat frames until August of '65. But you can't see them unless you take the seats out. 😁
I stand corrected. Actually I knew that about the MGB. For some reason I can't get smilies list to open up anymore.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have found a wood strip along the back of the seat frame that is used to tack the seat back together.

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have found a wood strip along the back of the seat frame that is used to tack the seat back together.

David
are you sure it's not a Morgan? 😁 (No wood in a Midget - at all)

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I sure wish I had never said that. What I can say for certain and nobody can argue the point, there is no wood in my Sprite. I have been through literally every piece of it and if there ever was any the termites have it.