• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Idle Speed Variation

crispy

Country flag
I've noticed that while waiting at a red light, my idle increases from ~1000 to 1300 RPM when i put my foot on the brake, and settles back down to ~1000 when i take it off again. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what may be causing this. Thanks!

Ian

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Vacuum leak would be a thought.

Country flag
Maybe, since the problem occurs when pressing the brake pedal. In normal driving, the servo has manifold vacuum gated to both sides of the big piston then, when you press on the brake pedal ambient air is gated to the 'top side' of the piston creating the 'boost.' It's conceivable the servo is allowing air back into the intake manifold somehow, though I'm not sure how, yet. The servo should have a check valve that allows 'vacuum' into the piston chamber, it should prevent this but these parts are old. How well does your servo work; i.e. how large is the braking effort?

One quick test of the servo is to stand on the brake pedal as you start the car, when the engine fires the pedal should go down an inch or so. Also, you could plug or pinch off the hose from the manifold to the booster, but I've not tried this and there may be issues I haven't considered (don't try it on the road).

OP
crispy

crispy

Country flag
Thanks guys. I suspect the servo too...I’ll have a go with the tests Bob suggests and report back.

OP
crispy

crispy

Country flag
Here’s the latest...to test the servo, I started the car w my foot on the brake, the brake pedal didn’t depress any further
Secondarily, I detached the vacuum hose from the manifold. Plugging the hose made no difference in the idle speed. Although, when I plugged the hose receptacle on the manifold...the idle speed reduced significantly.
I’m thinking a booster/servo rebuild is in order...anyone thinking differently???

I appreciate all of your input.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Secondarily, I detached the vacuum hose from the manifold. Plugging the hose made no difference in the idle speed. Although, when I plugged the hose receptacle on the manifold...the idle speed reduced significantly.
When you took the hose off the manifold and the idle didn't change that means the engine was already idling on way too much air. So you have a massive vacuum leak. When you plugged the opening in the manifold and the idle reduced that showed that you finally cut off all that excess air and the engine was closer to what it wanted.
I’m thinking a booster/servo rebuild is in order...anyone thinking differently???

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Unless the hose to the booster became disconnected at the other end, it looks like your thinking is correct.

OP
crispy

crispy

Country flag
Thanks for sharing your insight. Turns out the booster/servo is of the PBR variety. I’m going to source a rebuild kit and tackle it in the fall. I’ll report back on my results.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Let us know how the rebuild works. I was told that rebuilding servos was an art and takes some practice, I have never tried myself.

Country flag
Let us know how the rebuild works. I was told that rebuilding servos was an art and takes some practice, I have never tried myself.

There's a couple 'gotchas,' at least with the Girlings, but it's doable. Austin Healey Magazine has a good article in the latest issue.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I really do not think it is worth the risk as a DIY rebuild-?

OP
crispy

crispy

Country flag
Yes, I saw the article in the Austin Healey mag. Mine is a PBR servo, not a girling. I’ll check it out to see if I think it’s rebuildable... then go from there. If it’s not straight forward I’ll replace it.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'm slightly disappointed that the definitive treatise on the subject hasn't been referenced in this thread. I speak of course of my own article in a magazine I produced at the time, namely pages 14-15 of the January 1986 issue of Healey Highlights, a scant 35 years ago. Seriously, I'll be surprised if it is of any use at all to you, but it was fun to go dig it out and scan it. By the way, "Carnut" referred to in the article is Bruce Erfer, as a few old-timers here may recall. Good luck.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Reid ! :
Crispy weren't even born Then---N I bet Bruce still in Hawaii---🤣

Country flag
I must be an 'old-timer;' I bought a set of wheels for my BJ8 from Bruce Erfer when BWW was his garage, and spoke to Mike Meindorfer on the phone a few times.

I remember being told by someone that the 'locking plate seal' should be trimmed to length--by a SWAG, apparently--because, as supplied it was too long and would cause the lockup described. I did, and have never suffered lockup. The later servos were a bit different, as the seal went behind the leather seal (is part# 35 a carb balance tube?). Later servos also used a dry lubricant in the vacuum canister.