• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Electrical dilemma

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hello, listers, I have happened upon an electrical problem; doubly frustrating because I caused it myself. I took my TR3A for a spin tonight; I really haven't driven at night with it at all. At the end of the block I notice my two small guage light are out: Water temp and Oil pressure. All other instrument lights are lit, as are headlights and tail lights. I peek under the dash, and can tell the bulbs have fallen from the back of the guages. Stupidly, I grab the one I can see, to put it back in (!?), and of course there's a loud pop, and all instrument lights go out. Headlights and brake lights work. Figuring I just popped a fuse, I continue to drive for another 45 minutes, everything seems fine.

Of course, upon returning home, both fuses are fine. Any thoughts on what to check? My first idea is I've fried the Panel switch itself, which I haven't checked yet... It appears this car has had litle electrical work; the fuses seem original, and the two spares in the fuse block sure look 45 years old. I hate buggering up working stuff! Any thought? Thanks, All! Kevin '59TR3A #58370

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Might see my thread below about smoky story and the responses. I'd pull that panel and look for wiring glitches, bare wires, and a blown fuse if you were lucky enough to have one back there. Those little holders for the "dashboard" (guage) lights are not real secure.
I've taped mine in place and insulated them from other connections.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...I peek under the dash, and can tell the bulbs have fallen from the back of the guages...

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I am much mistaken TR3A gauges did not have lights. They were illuminated from bulbs (one on each side of the center panel) via the little 'windows' in the body of the gauge. Perhaps that is what you meant, otherwise (FYI) yours are not original and thus not the original wiring.

If you do have a fuse on that circuit it should be an online fuse, possibly secured to the bottom edge of the center section of the dash, sort of below the ignition switch. Of course many other things are possible.

I find it much easier to just bite the bullet and undo the mounting nuts and pull the center panel forward to get a proper look at things. You can get enough working room to rewire the whole dingus if need be. In case you do not know, you only need to loosen the 2 top nuts as they fit in slots. You will also need to undo the line to the oil pressure gauge. Then the panel can be pulled forward at the botton then down to be free.

OP
mrv8q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A tip of the hat to GEO... indeed, there was a pristine "pretty in pink" labeled 25A Lucus blown fuse, right where he said it'd be. I wonder what a similiar BUSS fuse would be... Thanks, GEO! Best, Kevin

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
The biggest problem I see on tr3's is the gages ect have a lot of screw down connectors that pinch the wires to make contact.I suggest re-freshing these connections and soldiering the wire ends(especially the ones that are twinned) so the ends dont frayand loosten...I am not aware of any fuse in this circut unless the PO put one in, I would assume that the pop was a temp short that cooked the last fragment of wire supplying the lamps.
MD(mad dog)