• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

mg guy moving up

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nice choice. How much is that in USD?

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
That is actually a "340" and as such, the last of the Mk2 family. I like the slimline bumpers on these a lot. It could have "ambla" upholstery instead of leather... Make sure you like the way the automatic works. They are not like "modern" ones as far as their operation.

D

Deleted member 8987

Ah, a RHD version (all you gotta do is look at the wiper blades).
Interesting rear-view mirror arrangement. Wing mirrors and door mirrors.
Around these parts, yeah, a MK2, but that being a 3.4 is a 340. Look at the bumpers. 240 and 340 models were "end of the line" on the MK2 production, vinyl interior, thin bumpers,

You really want a slush box? For smooth driving, yeah....depending on year and model, if there was one thing I absolutely hated on some Jags was the sliding selector on the bottom centre of the dash.

Not a bad price, if runs good, trans doesn't leak or slip, and the flors/sills are rust free. Works out to about $8200 US. A whole lot more than I paind for my MK2, but, then, yours is a 3.4.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I really like the 2.4s Little less mass up front... and I am convinced that with the short stroke crank it could be a screamer. How about either a straight port head, or a suitaby modified series 3 XJ6, and a set of 40MM webers... 4 speed and OD, and a decent balancing job. Zooom.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I like it just the way it is.
My address is .............
What????????

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well i just put the deposit on it
yes a little over 8 grand USD
cars are really expeive here in norway they have been highly taxed since the war so this is cheep for this market.
yes im not happy about the auto box but when it dies i will drop in a manual
it looks in good shape and with a plate that means it has passed EU control so its basically sound

yes its a "mk lll" I know I hope the heater works winter should hit here soon
the car is in south norway buy oslo Im in mid norway in Steinkjer

the Story of me driveing a Austin healey sprite from Holland to Norway was in last junes MG Enthusiast magazine.

so this is my "rational" winter car... I walk to work

cheery
steve

D

Deleted member 8987

Well.....never expect a MK2 heater to overcome the forces of winter. It will do it's level best to keep said forces at bay, but......

Scuttle vent open, or nothing happens.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well I just hooked up the heater is shaggy it helps a bit and fogs the windshield.
last year Shaggy was in "practical classics" magazines holiday snaps. to which my brother commented a convertible in Norway with out a heater is a practical classic!?

could i hook up a computer fan or some thing in the jag to help

alot of people here have extra heaters in the car Im not sure the electrical system would like that. good thing i walk to work

steve

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think most computer fans are 110 volts. They do make ones that will operate on 12 volts but not something you'll likely find surplus.

D

Deleted member 8987

Fan works in the Jags.....but there is no other air inlet other than the scuttle vent. Also, if you ever have to change the heater tap, make a drawing...the online stuff is wrong, you'll get closed blend door and max hot water (=no heat) or open blend door and no hot water (=no heat).
Remove the heater hoses every year or two, use a garden hose with a spray nozzle, wash the crud out of the core, go both ways until it's clean. Cold weather, at least a 180 t-stat.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
oh that could explain the crud in shaggys radiator when i hooked up the heater after 6 years...and three countrys

I should get the jag late next week or so

tusen takk
steve

D

Deleted member 8987

The heater core flush is something I have done in shops for decades. 50's and 60's vintage cars seem most prone.....not sure why. The crud settles out. You just go back and forth with a trigger-type spray nozzle until it comes out clean, and you usually are amazed at the amount of heat you will get afterwards.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Please post photos. We are a 'picturesque' group here. Thanks and enjoy your Jag. :driving:

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well it runs well
the exshaust has a leak .
and the choak cable is busted
and there is a gas leak up front

a little rust at the bottom of the doors
and the front fenders have been repaird and there is rust coming up at the join of the repairs

D

Deleted member 8987

Um....340's had side-draught carbs. No manual choke. I think the 240's were the same. 2.4L had downdraught Solexes, and a manual choke. Does this one have a sliding choke lever outboard of the speedometer? If so, it's a 2.4L dash...check to see there is a place for the other end to connect to.
Solexes connected to levers on both carbs.

I thought that was the "fix" to get more power outta 2.4L...a straight port head, side-draught carbs, same electrical starting carb arrangement as the 3.4 and 3.8L units.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

...I just replied to the other post about the electric choke. :wink:

D

Deleted member 8987

Watch the fuel sediment bowl. LOTS of folks tighten-tighten-tighten and warp the piXX out of the pot metal housing. That's the fuel...inside the right wing, just aft of the brake fluid reservoir. Gasket may fix it, but me, I'd pull it off, check for straight (no gasket, bare glass bowl, fit and see if it rocks in any direction). The usual suspects have full replacements.
So, unless the carbs are leaking, that's the spot to look first. Fuel line does NOT cross under the motor, just goes aft on rh side.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
right wing right
i think i need to print this take it with me
as a reminder

next i need a big healey .....
thanks
steve

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ok the little switch or knob on the right says rear window so that must be the defogger

still there is a odd little bracket in the center of the shelf ?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A7QRL...2/DashSmall.jpg

Drove it home form the EU control a buddy passed it I have to do the front right shock or what ever is under there
the whole drive in the rain i had the steering wheel over to the left so 2 o'clock was strait up and since the wipers were stopping strait up i had to lean to the center of the car to see. so I have work to do