• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

You know you are a lucky guy when....

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Your 7 year old daughter is all excited when you pick her up from her after school program early because she is happy to see you (actually, everything after this part is just bonus) and then proceeds to yell "<span style="font-weight: bold">Oh cool, you brought the TR8</span>" since it is a nice day and she likes driving around with the top down.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
That is cool. Sounds like a great evening.

Cheers,
Tush

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Doesn't get much better than that... enjoy it while you can!
My grown kids (and wife) lets just say do not share the same affection for the car as we do :nopity:

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
You know you are a lucky guy when your 2 oldest grandchildren.......7, and 5, argue over who gets "shotgun' in the TR3 after Easter dinner.
Gordon

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I guess I'm lucky, my 18 year old son and 16 year old daughter both like my 4A, and hopefully the 8 as well. My son even used the 4A in some of his senior pictures.

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
My 15 year old son(6'7") driving the tr3 isn't an option and he doesn't give a flip about it. However my 16 year old daughter helped a little with the car originally and would love to drive it.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have done that and my daughter always liked it when I showed up in the TR8. She lost interest for a couple of years but once she turned 15 and began to understand cars for herself and her friends, the TR8 went up on the cool meter. :smile:

Enjoy those experiences and do them more often think you think you should.

My daughter is preparing to leave for college in August and I keep wandering around wondering where the time went. I know it sounds cliche, but they grow up way too fast.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Gordon_Dedrick said:
You know you are a lucky guy when your 2 oldest grandchildren.......7, and 5, argue over who gets "shotgun' in the TR3 after Easter dinner.
Gordon

That us neat - we should all be so lucky. Cool Grandparents rock.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Nothing special. They really aren't all that interested beyond going for rides, though they are both learning how to drive a manual with the 4A (which isn't the easiest car to learn it on, when you are used to power-everything).

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great little story, Tom. I sure know I'd have been *thrilled* if my parents had picked me up in something cool like a TR8. We had station wagons.

My wife is showing more interest in riding in the MGB than she has with the Bugeye. more comfy, I think. Though she's pretty adamant that we won't be selling the Bugeye anytime soon (not that I was really contemplating it). She's a keeper, I think. :smile:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
GBRandy said:

My daughter is preparing to leave for college in August and I keep wandering around wondering where the time went. I know it sounds cliche, but they grow up way too fast.

Were she going Randy.
Northwestern?
Michigan?
Ohio State

Country flag
Only car my wife expressed an interest in was a XKE coupe but didn't last long, no A/C. The daughter likes them but not enough to learn to drive a stick shift. Soon to be son-in-law is chomping to drive one. He'll have to buy his own.

Marv

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tdskip said:
Darrell & Randy and guys - what if anything did you do to keep your kids interested and engaged?

Whenever we had to go somewhere and weather allowed for it, we took the TR8. Top down cruising is fun no matter the car type. The TR8 was purchased many years before she was born so it has always been here....and she likes fancy cars.

There was zero interest in fixing the thing mind you. I told her....better make enough money so you can pay someone to fix your fancy cars then. You can drive cool cars if you can fix them yourself. Otherwise you have to pay someone to do it.

She understood that part immediately and went and did her homework instead of helping me. Smart kid......

Don: She has decided on Cornell University. She going into the five year Masters in Biomedical Engineering program.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
GBRandy said:
Don: She has decided on Cornell University. She going into the five year Masters in Biomedical Engineering program.

That's the degree that my son got from Johns Hopkins. He got a job right out of school and is still with the same company and loving it.
Congrats Randy!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My daughter got wait listed there.
It wasn't her main choice. Prolly second.Sh would have changed her major if she went there