• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

British Car Trivia.......

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
OK guys & gals.....winner gets one ton of rust with which to build their own British car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Name all of the production British cars that came equipped with American engines.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Allards, Bristol, AC (Cobra), Gordon-Keeble, Nash Healey, Nash/Hudson Metropolitan, Jensen, Sunbeam Tiger

And then all the cars that used the Buick-designed engine sold to Rover:
Triumph TR8, Morgan, Rover, Range Rover and Land Rover, MGV8

And do you count the Ford engines found in many British cars, even though they are Ford UK?

And then there are a ton of Italians and French w/ American engines, including Iso, Bizzarini, Facel Vega, DeTomaso

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I'll give it some more stream of conciousness thinking:
Okay -- Railton: Hudson engine.

And I guess there were Caddy-powered Panthers.

Of course there were a number of racing cars that were British with American engines, such as McLaren and Lister. We can't count the famous Stovebolt Special, since the Alta engine was removed for a Chevy much later in its life.

British made Ford engines appeared in many cars -- Dellow, Elva, Ginetta, Marcos (which later had the Rover V8)

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Allards came with a variety of American iron including Ford flat head V8 and Caddy V8s.

OP
X

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Sammyb....yep, the Railton was probably the first Brit/American production hybrid. Nice goin' on spotting the Rover V8 (former Buick/Oldsmobile/Pointiac) engine as being American. Nope on McLaren, Lister, Lotus 30, etc.....only production cars count. BTW, the Nash/Hudson Metropolitan doesn't count. That was an American car with a British engine, not a British car with an American engine....and here's a bit more trivia...in the late '50's, International (the truck company) made a small Bread Van powered by a detuned MGA 1600cc engine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

78Z....yep, Allards came standard with either flathead Ford or Mercury engines but (later) had Caddy or Chrysler V8s as options.

You're doin' fine folks, but there are more out there.......

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
didn't the Ford 2.0L "Pinto" engine power a variety of UK Fords? I believe later Cortinas had it as well as Sierras.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Technically, the Metropolitan was a British car, because it was assembled in England. And my brain wasn't working, since it of course used an Austin engine!

Later Listers were considered "production" and did use a variety of American engines. The early sports racers were not production, and used mostly Jaguar and Chevy engines.

And Allard J2s were also available with a Lincoln V12!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
didn't the Ford 2.0L "Pinto" engine power a variety of UK Fords? I believe later Cortinas had it as well as Sierras.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a Mk3 Cortina (1975, number plate JGO994N) with a 2-litre "Pinto" engine.

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
How about the current model Rover V8/MG ZT 260 and the MG SV - all powered by Ford V8s. I'm not sure if the SV is actually in production yet so it may not count.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I may have just completely missed it but I haven't seen anyone mention the Sunbeam Tiger. For shame gentlemen. And are we going to count the Cobra as a British car since it was marketed and sold as American?

OP
X

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Sammyb listed the Tiger in the first reply, Walter.

Boy, what a shoehorn job that was! I remember many years ago I had a friend that bought one shortly after they came out. I was absolutely amazed when he showed me the holes in the firewall you had to go thru to access the rear sparkplugs!

But.....that thing sure went like stink (in a straight line)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Walter....I think we can count the Shelby Cobra....American engine, British chassis. And then, there's also the AC Cobra, which was actually built in Britain.

OK guys. There are more.....let's keep goin'!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Here's some semi-wild guesses:

Did some Vauxhalls come with Chevy engines?

How about the "Rover Sterling"? The Honda engine in that thing might have been U.S. built (I think most Honda engines are U.S. built nowadays).
(...and I wonder if any other American-built Japanese engines were exported for use in England?)

Simplex built from American kits and assembled in the UK (I think)

Willys-Overland engines used in British Crossleys.

Marcos (Chevy V-8 and Ford Duratech V-6).

It seems like they built Jeeps everywhere. Did they build them in the UK?

OP
X

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Yep Sunbeammadd....the road-going version of the GT-40 (aka Mark III) was built in England by Ford Advanced Vehicles and sold thru Ford dealers in the U.S. About 30 road cars were sold.

Aeronca....I don't think I'd consider Honda engines (even if they were built in the U.S.) as "American engines", since they were designed in Japan to power Japanese cars.

I don't think any Jeeps were ever built in the U.K.....Mokes, yeah, but not Jeeps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't know about the others.

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Sammyb listed the Tiger in the first reply, Walter.

Boy, what a shoehorn job that was! I remember many years ago I had a friend that bought one shortly after they came out. I was absolutely amazed when he showed me the holes in the firewall you had to go thru to access the rear sparkplugs!

But.....that thing sure went like stink (in a straight line)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Talk about shoehorns.Well the 351W in my Lister tiger clone is even more so.But man can it Go.

OP
X

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Well, I just found about a couple more that I never heard of before.....

The latest AutoWeek has an article about the British Ford Matford, a Ford V8-60 powered vehicle made just before WWII (1937-39), and the Ford Pilot Estate, a woodie wagon made just after WWII (1948-52), powered by the 221 cu. in. Flathead Ford V8.

Well, we've got Australia, Canada, and the U.S. posting here.....c'mon Brits, let's hear from you!

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
I thought Matfords were French. I seem to recall it was something to do with Ford's French operation which wound up being bought by Simca.

Maybe they were built in both Britain and France?