• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

About Done

D

DougF

I haven't written anything about my new engine because there hasn't been anything good to write. It's a very strong runner when the car is drivable.
I've had many issues along the way including sticking throttle, high idle, head gasket, push rod, clattering valves, and intake manifold problems and more. Considering the motor went in 3 months ago and there aren't 200 miles on the car since, it hasn't been a good Triumph summer.
I took the car out this evening with an idle that still wants to hang around 2500 rpm. This, after over a month of working nearly every evening on it...a little better than last night when it hung up at 5000. About 3 miles into the drive, the engine started to miss a little above 3000 rpm. Things got progressively worse to the point when I finally got under street lights and hit the gas, it bellowed a large cloud that didn't dissipate. I couldn't tell what color it was but can only guess.
There is no antifreeze in the oil, the engine turns but the starter struggles. This is either an engine issue or a problem with the year old battery.
A head gasket will be about enough to end it for me for the year.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yeah, hate to read stuff like this. Hope the news gets better for you.

Mickey

OP
D

DougF

Yes, triples. I filed the stud hole to allow one manifild to drop about 3/32". The offer is there for a replacement, but I really didn't want to wait. I have no complaints whatsoever with Richard.
I restarted the car last night and the left pipe felt to be spewing vapors onto my hand. I'll look at it this evening.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Sorry to hear about the vapors, but could that be condensation? As far as the throttle sticking, if you use the very stiff spring connectors on the shafts, it could be part of the problem, as the alignment is very critical on these to prevent any binding. That is why I gave up on the solid couplers after a month of experimentation.

Are you using the Ratco cable like mine or the rebuilt, shortened stock linkage? That could be part of your problem.

OP
D

DougF

I have the Ratco cable. I'm using the spring connectors supplied by Moss. I'll try some other ones I have that I believe are a little lighter for comparison.

The right side pipe was dry, so I'm not very optimistic about condensation. The poor performance had me believing at first that I needed to adjust a float, but the cloud made me change my mind.

Stopped in to see Scott Harper at Team Triumph and picked up the necessary gaskets.

Thanks for the ideas.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Doug,

It can be hit and miss with the triples, as the linkage can bind when cold, but be fine when hot and vice versa.

First, make sure the shafts are as straight across the plane as possible. If not, loosen each carb and wiggle them till you get them lined up as straight as you can. Do this with the spring clips loose and away from the two shafts being connected. You may even have to loosen each manifold to get it all lined up, but once done, that will be it.

Then start the car and get it warmed up with the carbs tightened down, but still disconnected. After warm and after you are sure that the chokes are not sticking in any way, sync the air intake in the normal manner and then do the carb connectors, making sure that the idle doesn't rise or lower, after you've tightened them up. Take it for a ride and confirm no sticking or binding when hot.

Now the tricky part. Shut it down and let it cool down over night. Start it up in the AM and see if you have a good idle after the chokes are released and it's all warmed up. If you do, go have a cold beer. If it sticks when cold, loosen the connectors one at a time and see if the idle drops down when you loosen the clamp on either side. If not, tighten the first one up and do the second one. If it still sticks, check your choke, because one of them is the problem.

Please don't ask me how I know all of this to be true.....

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
One last thing........Sticking chokes can make smokes...........

OP
D

DougF

When I pulled the carbs and loosen the the manifolds, antifreeze ran out of #6 exhaust port.
I do have a pair of lighter duty spring connectors that I'll try when this all gets back together. I have a couple oil leaks that need attention while things are apart.
There were height and depth issues with the shaft alignment. I had to pull the locating pin on #3 intake and file the stud hole to adjust the height. Sanding the nylon spacers and a couple extra gaskets have helped the depth. I'll do a little more sanding on the spacers while things are apart.
The chokes seem to be working properly.
I appreciate all of your information Paul. Thank you.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Brosky said:
One last thing........Sticking chokes can make smokes...........

"And if the glove don't fit, you must acquit." :devilgrin:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bro, that don't help.:smirk: Paul's: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] First, make sure the shafts are as straight across the plane as possible. If not, loosen each carb and wiggle them till you get them lined up as straight as you can. Do this with the spring clips loose and away from the two shafts being connected. You may even have to loosen each manifold to get it all lined up, but once done, that will be it. [/QUOTE]

is likely to be ~telling~ here. The need to have all three shafts in the same axis is really a "thang"!

OP
D

DougF

I can put a straight edge across the top of the intake flanges with spot on results. Things are good across the top of the mounting surface but a little off across bottom of same surface.
I found that the nylon spacers weren't spot on and that they are pigs to sand...don't take to paper very well.
The carbs are pretty consistant across the board.
The shafts aren't perfectly aligned, but are close enough that spring clamps can be slid from one shaft to the other without much fuss on both sides. I think the more flexible clamp might be helpful...hopefully.

OP
D

DougF

The head is modified to where I can't use duals without a bit of effort. It's basically worked out that all three carbs are set at factory spec so to get half again as much fuel out of each carb would take time. I still believe I'm very close with the triples.
Driving the car isn't as enjoyable because I'm paying attention to the car and not relaxing and having fun.
Knowing there is antifreeze in the cylinders is motivating me to get this head gasket changed. Bought a new valve cover yesterday to try to help motivate.
I'm moving forward, but the fun is long gone.