• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AUSTIN HEALEY VIN IDENTIFICATION

Deaner_67

Freshman Member
I am looking at buying a 1961 Austin Helaey, and I want to make sure that the Vin and serial numbers all check out. The numbers I was given are HBT7L15933, 3085Bt7, and 16060L.
ANy help I can get would be much appreciated. I cannot find the information I need on the internet, and Need to find it out fast.

Thanks, Kyle.

richch

Jedi Trainee
Kyle,
The VIN number you would use on your ownership or title would be HBT7L15933. The other numbers are Batch number 3085BT& and individual Body number 16060L.
These all would seem to check out as being correct and in the range of being right for a left hand drive 1961 3000 Mk 2 tricarb with centre shift gearbox.
Fast enough??

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You might also check the right side shock support tower as it has the vin number stamped on the far outside vertical face and see if they match. Have a good day!

John

Robert560

If you're looking to find out if the "major stuff" is factory correct, you can also query the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust. This is where people get their "Heritage Certificates" from... but many don't realize that you can also just do a "Archive Research Service" request. You "buy" it online, fill out the simple form, and then they email you the results. It's inexpensive, and I got responses from them within a day every time.

https://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/s...0401/index.html

I used this 4 times in order to verify factory correctness of cars I was looking at buying. I would pay for 2 requests at a time... I would give the VIN, and then request 1) the engine number and 2) the interior/exterior colors as recorded in the factory records. Only two of the 4 cars I checked were still correct, and the forth ended up being the one I bought. Money WELL spent to make sure I knew what I was getting ahead of time. Then, once I got the car, I followed up by ordering the full Heritage Certificate... but I already knew there wouldn't be any unexpected surprises when I got it.

~Robert

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here's another hint for those considering buying a BJ8. The BJ8 Registy (sbyers@ec.rr.com) as of today has a record of 7,338 BJ8s (worldwide) out of the 17,712 cars originally manufactured. An aggressive attempt is made to identify and document the complete ownership history of each car in the registry, as well as to record current and original identifying numbers, such as VIN, batch/body, engine, gearbox, and rear axle numbers. The registry uses many sources to accomplish this, inluding access to BMIHT archives.
It frequently happens that a new owner submits the details of his car to the registry (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bj8quest.html) only to learn that the VIN, body, engine, etc. numbers do not match and that his car is a collection of parts (including I.D.plates) from several other cars. He might have wanted to know that before choosing to buy the car and could have known it if he had checked with the registry first. Buying a car from a "well-known" restoration shop is no guarantee that all numbers match, if that is important to you.

In response to the "number on the shock tower" issue: I believe that only applies to BJ8s, but I would like to hear from anyone who has a car prior to BJ8s that has such a number.

Country flag
Steve, I'm curious if you know the number of BJ8s that are still on the road or in restoration.
I have a nice, restored, extra wood dash set that has matching numbers written on the backs and glove box door. It would be nice to return it to the original car if it is still around. I will post the number next week. Can you do anything with those numbers?
TH

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
MKII with a build date around May-June 1961. Engine number should be close to 29ERUH700. Should have a side shifter tranny (center shift came in around 15880). Key should be FS690 (just kidding on this one). Bill Bolton is head of the MKII registry.

Superwrench

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks ! It is a side shift. It has 3 carbs, all looks original. I don't think they were added. Does Vin show tri-carb ? Is that what the T is ? It is solid and should be fun to rebuild. You guys seem like fun also. I moved it in my financees garage and I don't even live there yet ! Got to break em in right ! Bob

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
Bob,

yes, it is a tri-carb. The original shifter should be a "double-bend" shifter. The difference from the earlier cars is that it has an extra bend up so it is easier to hold. The T is for a 4 seater. BT7 = 4 seater, BN7 = 2 seater. The 2 seater tri-carbs are ultra rare. Good thing you have a "financees", you'll need one to pay for the parts :yesnod:.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Can I get her to give lessons to my wife on the joys of Healey ownership -
mine must have skipped that lesson somewhere !!!
Regards,
Mike

joper01

Freshman Member
Since this is my first post, I hope it is in the correct location for the question I am asking.

I recently purchased my Grandfathers 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite.

The issue is: The title that my Aunt gave me says 1966 Austin Healey. I am almost 100 percent certain it is a 1960. My grandfather always said it was a 60, and his old registration that was under the steering column says 60 also. The VIN number is: AN5L / 33132. Is the Heritage Certificate mention in one of the other posts official enough for a DMV to accept it as credible?

Attachments

• 20140928_181757 (1).jpg
    20140928_181757 (1).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 671

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Since this is my first post, I hope it is in the correct location for the question I am asking.

I recently purchased my Grandfathers 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite.

The issue is: The title that my Aunt gave me says 1966 Austin Healey. I am almost 100 percent certain it is a 1960. My grandfather always said it was a 60, and his old registration that was under the steering column says 60 also. The VIN number is: AN5L / 33132. Is the Heritage Certificate mention in one of the other posts official enough for a DMV to accept it as credible?

Welcome. There's a dedicated Spridget section on this forum and I reposted your question there as you might get some more responses. The title is "Sprite Title Problem" Your chassis number sounds like a '60 to me and the Heritage Certificate will confirm it. The real question is one probably no one can answer, how the state will address the issue. They could be reasonable or it could be a total PITA. Do you feel lucky, punk? Do ya?