• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Super-Rare Triumph Models!

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Kickin' around the local Craigslist, I found a couple Triumph models I've never heard of. Since I know all about Triumphs, like everyone else, it's pretty clear that these are exceedingly rare models.

First is the Triumph Speedfire:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1569683385.html

And, of course, the Triumph Harold:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/1574173579.html

(Actually, I think I saw this today when I was out on my bicycle. Doubt if there are two of 'em in this burg. It had something stuffed underneath it holding up a sagging...what? Maybe an exhaust pipe.)

I think that the latter is related to the Triumph Maude and Triumph Mathilda.

In other news, if you want Minis, you can get 'em by the container load:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320480538482

I don't know if I'm nuts or the rest of the world is...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Those Triumph are very rare, one-off factory cars.
And,as for the Mini's - not in California (pre-'76 only).

- Doug

D

Deleted member 8987

Not sure I'd be paying 5K for a Harold or however he wants to spell it, even with the extra parts, like, manuals.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Other than the salvage title... that "speedfire" looks like it might be a good deal.

swift6

Yoda
startech47 said:
A 6 pack of Mini's for $18,500.00 not bad. That's only $3,084.00 each. I rounded up to the nearest dollar.

A local kid did this a few years ago. Bought a container full of mini's from New Zealand. Each and everyone was knackered. Rode hard, put away wet etc... They all needed mechanical rebuilds.

Another local guy, a BCF member (BCliff), did get a fairly good 850 Mini that way though.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
I think the Minis Idea is not too bad... except they are all right side steering. If I can't find a TR3 for the right price in the next year or 5... I can totally see myself getting an old Mini Cooper... but purists beware :laugh:

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In addition to the 850 Mini, I also got a 66 Riley Elf. The Elf was brought in by a guy in California that had 5 Minis and the Elf shipped in from NZ. He has a friend over there that will look at the cars before buying. It really helps to have someone that knows cars helping you out. After I bought the Elf, I mentioned that I might like another Mini. It was shipped over here with another Mini in a 20 foot container. It was considerably cheaper than buying one that someone else had shipped over. It is also way cheaper to put 6 in a 40 foot container. I have since converted the Mini to LHD, at my wife's request (it is her car). Pretty easy job. I have also since rebuilt the 850. It runs like a (tiny) watch and putts around town just fine. I am going to have it repainted this year, and do some work on the interior. Final tally should be around $5000 including purchase and shipping.
Bruce

D

Deleted member 8987

I've driven Minis and worked on them, even considered buying one.
A friend who was into the Mini scene for years and years told me all the bits are there to swap it over to LHD.
Don't know....that's just what he told me.
I know the earlier ones at least had the gauge pod in the centre of the dash so no changes really needed there.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
tdskip said:
That Harold has been up for sale forever...
I've noticed that. Going solely by the few pictures, I suspect it's priced <span style="font-style: italic">at least</span> $2000+ too high (sadly, being a sedan seems to make it less valuable and harder to sell). It does look like a solid, straight body and good paint, but....?

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:
Sadly, being a sedan seems to make it less valuable and harder to sell.

Come-on Andy, we both know the top just unbolts. The seller needs to hype it as an ultra rare cabriolet with the optional removable hardtop! :jester:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
frankenstang57 said:
Come-on Andy, we both know the top just unbolts. The seller needs to hype it as an ultra rare cabriolet with the optional removable hardtop! :jester:
...just like so many other sellers have over the years! :crazyeyes:

Yes, that's doable, but most definitely NOT recommended (before anyone here on the Forum gets any brilliant ideas)!

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Well the Harold is obvious a typo because its spelled correctly in the description. The Speedfire is pretty rare though. Only 3 were built.

pjsmetana said:
I think the Minis Idea is not too bad... except they are all right side steering. If I can't find a TR3 for the right price in the next year or 5... I can totally see myself getting an old Mini Cooper... but purists beware :laugh:

B-spec. All the kids prefer them that way

Anyone say Group Buy?

...Dude, I would so do this just to be all like Italian Job and Gone in 60!

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
I'l bid on the Uncle Harold. The way he took his teeth out and scared us all...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
.Dude, I would so do this just to be all like Italian Job and Gone in 60! [/quote]

As long as you're referring to the original versions.
The remakes were pure Hollywood.

- Doug

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
AngliaGT said:
As long as you're referring to the original versions.
The remakes were pure Hollywood.

- Doug

Did the original Gone in 60 Seconds have shipping dock scenes where they loaded and unloaded cars too? I dont remember. All I remember is a yellow mustang tearing stuff up. Pretty sure there was some plot involving title washing, but I may of be confusing it with Ultimate Performace (a local foose/shelby authorized eleanor replica builder)

Richter12x2

Jedi Hopeful
That was really the sole redeeming factor of the first Gone in 60. I think there was a plot a bit before the 73 minute car chase. :lol:

I'll jump in on the group buy if they replace one of the Minis with a TVR Tuscan for the same price. :laugh:

dklawson

Yoda
UmmYeahOk said:
Anyone say Group Buy?
...Dude, I would so do this just to be all like Italian Job and Gone in 60!

Avoid the bulk Minis.

There are many "not so legal" Minis being imported at the moment. There have been recent threads about both the seller of the "bulk" cars and unrelated threads about similar "questionable" cars being impounded at port by the Feds. If you are interested in loosing $18.5K + substantial fines... that eBay bulk buy is perfect.