• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A The super no-budget TR2 project

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
OK fellahs, Time to have some fun.
My goal is to by hook or by crook have this TR2 in a drivable state by the Watkins Glen Vintage Festival this September. Barring any unforseen major events. If not this year, definately next year.
Here's the plan so far.
It's going "rat-rod". flat black epoxy primer, minimal interior, no extensive weather gear or extra trim. red wheels, wide whitewalls (If I can afford them). Nothing irreversable will be done to this car. It will retain all Triumph parts, and not get hot-rodded
this thing is totally torn apart right now. I will not be skimping much on things like brake parts, or tires that are safe, but anything goes to get the parts to build this car.
I'm looking for any extra stuff you may have that I can buy cheap. Partial gasket kits, unused rebuild kits, extra hydraulic parts, engine parts, a TR3 master cylinder bracket and associated stuff...
Clean out that pile of stuff you didn't use in your resto, be part of a project, and make a few bucks.
I'm compiling a list of needed stuff, and will post it soon. I plan on adding the names of all who help on the "honor roll" that will be painted on the gas tank cover board in the boot.
Keep watch here on the BCF to see the progress. I'll keep regular updates with pics of things done. and if all goes well, come to Watkins in September to take a ride.
Like the thread title says, this is the super no-budget build. If this classic is ever gonna see the road again I have to get creative with finding and funding all the parts I need. Where better to put out a call for help that with the greatest community of LBC fanatics in the world.
Thanks you guys! Lets see where this leads.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK, I'll be first to say I have an extra TR3 MC bracket you can have for shipping but before I send it, lets see the list so maybe I can dump some more stuff.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Do you mean the Lockheed bracket, or the Girling bracket? Both were used on TR3s...

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
the later TR3-TR3A bracket for the disc brakes. that'd be the Girling one. I have the lockheed dual-master bracket, but I'm upgrading to the discs, so I'd like to use the later bracket and cylinders that better match the disc system. I'll need the reservoir and pipes too, but I'm accepting pieces in any stage completeness.
this ain't gonna win any concourse prizes. But it's gonna be a hoot to drive.
should have an "official list" this weekend. This week is pretty busy through Friday,But I have the weekend off.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Geez, Benny!! Why on earth ain't ya stuck with an MG?!?! :jester:

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Cuz, any of them I could afford had already rotted in half...hehehehe
I had my heart set on a TR with the cut down doors, and this one came along just right. I did have a 77 MGB. I sold it to get my TR4A, that I sold to get this pile of TR2 parts...... Oh well. none of them were very nice cars. Lots of fun, but not very nice.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Banjo,

I'm in. Will wait to see the list. If I have some little bits that you may need, they are yours for cost of shipping.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers,
David

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have some extra brake parts, your welcome to. wheel cylinders, dust boots pads, shoes ect.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think you've come to the right place Ben, let's see the list!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great idea, Ben! I may still have some bits lying about from the TR3 I did a while back. Need to clear out some of my storage area anyway.

"One man's junk..."

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Ben, at one point a few years back, you and I talked about a 13 blade TR6 fan for use on this car, but then you said to wait as you were undecided about the final outcome. That was over two years ago, if I remember correctly.

In any event, I said that I had one for you and the favor you had done for me. I kept it in case we ever spoke of it again. I'm cleaning out my TR6 stuff and getting ready to put things on the classifieds here and on eBay. But before I do, do you still need the TR6 13 blade fan? I have one that is yours, based on our previous discussions. If you do not, I will put it up for sale.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just a cautionary note, in 2009 I was digging through my bin of original brake parts looking for a MC/reservoir line. Found one and tugged on it, not too hard, to pull it out of the bin. It literally snapped in my hands! The exterior still looked fine, had the terne plating and all, but it was apparently corroding from the inside out.

I also lost a TR3A once, because one of it's brake lines had rotted through while it was parked at the top of a hill. Unfortunately, I was already halfway down the hill into a dead-end underground parking garage before I realized there were no brakes. (Handbrake had previously failed and not been repaired by yours truly.) NOT an experience I care to repeat!

I promptly bought some new lines! But if you want the old ones off of TS39781LO, now is the time to say so. I didn't even bother stripping them off, and I still haven't managed to get it hauled away.

I have some small brake rebuild kits and a few condensers for a spitfire, but the kits don't fit mine, maybe they'll work with yours?

I could also lend you a hand for the rebuild if you need it. I live in West Elmira, the only reason I have Corning is because I go to the community college and I'm there everyday.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I think I have a TR3-2 in parts that I will donate anything that you may need. My Wife would be very happy to see all that "stuff you don't need" go away.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good on you for diving in. All my bits are for Sprites, so that won't help. Will be great to see another one back on the road though.

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Wow guys! I'm overwhelmed. this seems to be gaining interest quickly.
Now here's a question for you guys. I'm going to keep updated going here on the BCF, but do you think I should try a blog as well? I've never done one, but I'm sure I can manage.
I'm on the 12 hr shifts this week, so I can't check in here till 8:30. I promise I'll get things organized this weekend and kick this off officially.
This could be lots of fun.
Nikolaus! Nice to meet you! I'm an Adjunct professor at CCC (In my spare time hahaha). in the automotive dept. You can email me through there at "berway5"
We gotta meet up sometime.

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Randall,
I'm not using any old brake line. I have very nice, professional flaring and tube bending tools and will be making all new lines. I'd like to have the old feed lines between the gerling reservoir and masters for the fittings, and to use as a pattern.
The brakes is one place where I don't want to take any shortcuts.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Banjo, I can't help with bits or blogs but am excited about your project.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I've got some spare parts, pretty much TR4A, but there should be some common parts, so if I see any on your list they are yours.

I think a blog would be a great way to document the project. If I was more ambitious, I might try my own.