• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 tr6 tranny conversion?

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Hey guys
I have a TR6 and hear that an early Toyota Celica transmission 5 speed can be put in the TR6. What year are those transmissions from? Anyone done that conversion? Anything really hard about it? Just let me know what you guys think.
Eric

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For the passed two years at Triumphest Ventura and Laughlin, in the southwest, I've seen a vendor that mates a Toyota five speed with a TR6. I don't remember the guy's name but seems as if it were a Dutch name... van der something. I'm not much help but you might try our club web site: <dctra.org> I know at least one of our members has a TR6 so equiped. In fact his car is the prototype. T.T.

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
That would be Hermann van Acker at https://manatee.mojam.com/~skip/5-speed-flyer.html

I've heard good things about his kit, although I'm not interested in doing the swap in my six.

Good luck!

Rick
patriot.gif

Steven

Jedi Trainee
i thought the purpose of all this was to keep the TR6 original. Isn't using other cars parts kind of stepping outside the accepted mode of TR6 behaviour?????
hammer.gif

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
You need to strike a balance between origionality and updates. Do really want 30 year old tires? Some times orig parts are just not avaliable or too expensive. Other times different parts make the car much more fun or reliable. I don't see anything wrong with a 5 speed TR6.

Gary Pope

Jedi Trainee
We have had this discussion before, but no, I don't think there is any cast iron rule that say's keep them original. If you can make the car safer, more reliable and better looking with modern components, then I see that as an evolutionary process rather than a perversion.

It's down to the individual, but I like to keep a balance by keeping it close to original with just a few subtle mods. I feel that the Toyota gearbox is too far, however I would be very open to a TR7 5 speed conversion. Then I think you can justify to some extent the evolutionary process.

Steven

Jedi Trainee
Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist, but I would have a problem with putting a Japanese transmission in my TR6. I just wouldn't do it. A guy can get the original transmission from the Roadster Factory, and with proper care, it should be just as good as the Toyota. I do agree that as long as it's English...I could have an easier time with it.

johntr6

Freshman Member
The toyota tranny works fantastic and the shifter is in original position with a hydraulic thro out bearing it really updates the tr6 and more reliable

azdon

Freshman Member
I put the Toyota 5 speed in my TR3A 4th gear is a 1;1 ratio as is 4th gfear in the TR trans. but 5th gear is an over drive. If you drive your car a lot it is a great addition

V

vagt6

Fifth gear ratio in the Toyota gearbox is .82. For comparision, a Laycock D-type OD ratio is .80. The J-Type OD offers ratios up to .72, very nice for the highway.

Have you considered a J-type OD? Excellent alternative, original to the car, too. I installed one in a GT6, it was fantastic.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,

I wouldn't use a Toyota five speed if I had a four speed Triumph gearbox, I would look to replace it with the four speed and overdrive unit. This is a much better drivers transmission than any five speed.

Alec