• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need a new Muffler ??

delisaj

Looks like my existing muffler on my 1971 TR-6 has a pinhole leak.. Not urgent, but any ideas on where I can get a replacement. A chrome tailpipe would be nice. This may sound strange, but I'd like to keep things a QUIET as possible..

Any suggestions??

Once again, thanks for your help and experience on these matters..

John

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a the OEM style stainless version that I'd let go pretty cheap. It's in great shape, but I just prefer the quad-tip look.

Let me know if you're interested.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I think that the original style muffler sounds great on a TR6, especially if you have the split (later) manifold or headers. Just loud enough at hard throttling, but not too loud at low speeds (neighborhoods).

Like Shannon, I want a quad tailpipe setup, but that's the one and only demand that my wife makes on me about the car. NO loud pipes, so until I figure out how to add another dual right side outlet to the stock muffler, I'm committed to what I have.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
John,

I actually don't. I'm out of town right now and won't be able to snap a shot of it until this Saturday when I return home. If I remember, it's in pretty good shape, no dents that I can recall. I might even have the stainless intermediary pipes as well, but I can't remember until I climb up in the garage attic to see whats there.

Let me know if you can wait that long...

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
John,

I just remembered, this is the dual-pipe setup. I don't think it'll work for your application unless you split the pipes upstream somewhere or purchase the split manifold from somewhere. I think 72 was the first year for the dual pipes.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Shannon:

If John can't use it, I'd like to work out a deal with you. If you can snap a pic or two, I think that some of the mufflers that I've seen have two round spots on the right side where it looks as though another set of tailpipes could exit. If yours has those and you don't choose to do what I'm thinking is possible, I might take it to my shop and see if he can cut in and send another set of matching pipes out of the right side.

Of course this may totally destroy the muffler and affect the internal baffling design to the point that it would sound terrible, or actually hurt performance, so I would only do it if I could get a muffler at a good price to experiment with.

Let me know if it doesn't work out for John and if you don't choose to try my idea. One way or another, I'd like to know if it can be done.

Thanks,

OP
delisaj

delisaj

Shannon and Paul-

I think I will try an OEM muffler and look for a direct replacement for what I have. Not up for the experiment. Thanks for the reply..

John

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paul,
I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect the 2 round spots you mentioned are either anchor points for the incoming pipes or a layer of thicker material to handle the incoming exhaust. Thicker to be able to withstand the impact of hot gas and provide a resonable service life. You can check this on an OEM type muffler by checking the alignment of the round pads with the incoming pipes.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense Bob. Not all have it, but I have seen it on a few pictures of under car systems.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've seen the round spots you're talking about. I can't remember if mine has them or not. Embarrassing because I was just under there yesterday! I'll check.
If you're considerng surgery ona muffler.... Have you considered investigating a late model Camaro muffler? They have one in and two out. The muffler sits prependicular to the centerline of the chassis. I don't know how it mounts. The input tube and one output tube are on one end and the other output is on the other end.
I'm not ready for a new exhaust but I'm always thinking of the possibilities. Although Shannon's SS stock system is interesting.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Could it be possible that the manufacturer was fixing some units that had them cut in on the wrong side? I wonder why they are there on some and not on others and you may have had the answer earlier.

I have the SS stock muffler that Sears put on back in 1982 with a lifetime warranty. Wait until I go back to get them to honor that, if it ever fails! I just wanted to play with something if I could get it cheap enough.

The Camaro system sounds good too. I'll have to check into that a bit more if this doesn't work out.

Just more to play with over the winter.....

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I checked the muffler on my TR6. It has the 2 round spots. As far as I know this is the original muffler. The car has very low miles (but creeping up)
John,
If you haven't discarded your muffler would you be able to cut it open and post pictures of the inside? If so I think removing the top half, as installed on the car, would provide the best view of the internals.
I'll try to get a Camaro muffler from the junk yard and cut it open with a grinder. Like Paul said, more to play with as the weather cools.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks for checking Bob. Does it look as though these are on the same parallel line as the exit pipes opposite them? If they are, this is getting more interesting.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paul, I think they are. I'll try to verify tonight. I think both the exit pipes and the pads are at the peak of the minor diameter of the oval ( viewed from the side of the muffler. )

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
Sounds like a job for MufflerWeld to me. That kind of stuff (exhaust sealant) holds up better than you might think, especially if you're really talking about a small (pinhole?) leak. Might buy you another year or two with light use. Mine was actually leaking around the welds on the round spots mentioned above.

Pete

roofman

Jedi Knight
I have an original tr6 muffler in my garage, and it has the extra 2 mystery holes also. They look like there in the exact same location on the muffler as the part where the pipes come out ( but on the opposite side ). It does look like the mufflers were made with 4 exit holes and then they plugged 2 up. Do you think these were made for cars that could be sold on either side of the pond, and then the appropriate side got pipes? I wonder what side the exhaust came out on RHD cars?

swift6

Yoda
All factory TR6 exhaust exited from under the left hand side of the rear bumper. Even on the RHD models.

The only real location differences bewteen LHD and RHD, and its fairly easy to switch if your doing a frame off, deal with the dash (gauges), pedal box/Master cylinders, wiper fluid resovoir and steering rack/steering wheel.