• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1977 MGB

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Looks like I'm finally ready to close the deal on this "B" I've been after. My plans at this point are to get it home and change all the fluids. Including draining and refilling the cooling system. Draining and refilling the hydraulic's. Draining and refilling the engine, trainsmission and differential. I also plan on pulling the wheels and checking the pads and shoes. I also plan on plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, fuel and air filters and a valve adjustment. Can anyone fill me in on anything else that needs to be looked at before I put the "B" on the road? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jim - me either....hehehehe

John - if you follow my checklist, you'll have her ready to go in no time...there might be some items you don't need to check but I tried to cover most everything.

OP
kyreb1862

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the input Tony. The car is already running this much I know already so I'm going to take your checklist and give it a good going over especially the braking system. Would you recommend repacking the front wheel bearings during this process? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good idea, costs nothing and good insurance.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Absolutely! Does it have wire wheels? If so take them off, cleah the splines in the wheels & on the hubs & coat with white lithium grease.

OP
kyreb1862

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
No wires. It has the rostyle wheels. Going to replace them with some type of alloy as soon as finances will allow. Mechanicals first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

quibix

Freshman Member
Oh, yes! Make sure to pull the plungers out of the carbs & top up the reservoirs with motor oil. Without that, even after you've done everything else, that car is going exactly nowhere!

J

Going nowhere? My MGB has covered only 88,000 miles in the past (nearly) 30 years! That's 31.6 trips back n fro - from NY, NY to LA, CA!!! It spent almost ten of those years sitting under a carport and a shed. So - That's an average of 4630 or so miles a year (during it's running years)... Not much mind you, but it's still the best road car I own! And granted, I've only logged about 5000 miles on it since I bought it 2 or 3 years ago, but.... Going exactly nowhere? It's been across the country more times than I have!!!! I guess I didn't get the statement.

By the way welcome to the forums!!!!

Excellent car, the 1977 MGB is. I'd like to have a couple more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Make sure to pull the plungers out of the carbs & top up the reservoirs with motor oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Automatic Transmission fluid - 20W50 is too thick!