• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Poor ol' Diesela!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
She's gone an' eaten her alternator. Had to transport "mom" to school this AM, then "Once more we dive-ed below Calypso."

What a tooth pullin' contest for a crappy ~AutoZone~ reman'd alternator! It's goin' fer a chop. Came with the car, so the next one will be a Bosch (pronounced: "BOTCH") /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the DPO cheaped out and "MacGyver'd" a smaller unit on there. Looked kinda Rube Goldberg-ish, the way it mounted/fit. We'll see. Have my local PartzHound hot on the trail of a replacement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Yea, I'm starting to be annoyed by all my Botch and Dentso parts needing replacement.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
BoneIdle is comin' over and we're gonna stare sternly at Diesela for a bit, drink some coffee, then hopefully fetch a replacement and "Git 'er DONE!"

Yeah... I'm about to go outside and use my new Looooong extensions and try to get the exhaust loose on the 'yota.

Good luck.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Watch out for "whiplash" with that extension! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just got some... Punched myself in the chest with a 2ft breaker bar - ouch...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hey, Doc - I just paid $140 for a Mercedes dryer for my 380SL instead of an aftermarket one for that exact reason...too hard to get to to change again!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah. Understand. The other part is: just opening the hood on the diesel I get filthy. I don't like that one bit.

The alternator turned out to be a reman. We'll see... Wasn't that hard to do, but I look as if I mined coal today. BoneIdle came over to help and give moral support, too. Had the replacement alternator in hand by 4:30, and at six we were "Driving Miss Daisy" back to the hovel after pickin' her up from work. 14V charge now, I'll be monitoring it.

I put a Delco Remy (said Paladium on the box) on the MGB... No problems in 2+ years!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
New photo's nice, Kenny...

Thanks! Just took 'em 'bout an hour ago.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
How'd ya get th' RATS to strike the same pose again?!!?

Got 'em saved with a transparent background... I had to clean up some stuff I missed when they were on a black background, but it works. I can still see several places I missed - but I didn't spend a lot of time on it - a minute or two maybe.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You're so...so... LITERAL sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've heard that Kragen,one of the parts stores in Eureka
plays the "switch & bait" type trick.
They sell you the "obiously" wrong part.When you get it home (of course,it's after they close),you find out that it's the wrong one.They say - "Sorry,I guess we made a mistake - would you like us to reorder it?".
Most people say "Yes - reorder it".They then sell a part that they might not otherwise sell.It's usually of inferior quality,also.I've heard more complaints about this from other people.
I stick to oil,oil filters,etc.,when they're on sale.

- Doug

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, the whole buisness is going whacko now. The place I get my "common" bits is an independent. No computers, no "What year, make, model" stuff. The counter person is the owner. His choices of suppliers is drying up as the various outfits are eaten by the "volume" guys. He's had to accept the junk supplies and inferior remans as Delphi et al are being steered by their accounting departments... "The end is nigh..." We WILL be subjugated to "McParts" very soon now: "If it's more than seven years old we can't help you, sir... Have a nice day."

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I tried to get a taillight/turn signal bulb for our '94 Ford Aerostar.I think it was Kragen.
I told them that I need a dual filament bulb (it was a standard dual filament bulb).
The kid behind the counter asked me "year,make,& model?"
He had to actually look it up on the computer!
And this was a few years ago.

- Doug

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. I ask 'em for some N9-Y or WR-7DC plugs, and get the "standard quiery"... I usually get tweaked immediately and respond with somethin' smartarse like: "It's a '28 Spitzgrummish Agamemnon... the 12 litre."

...blank stares... I just chalk it up to NO sense of humor.

I'd HATE to think they have a problem with the spelling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kind of like when I helped out a guy on the California Mille.
He needed something at a local parts store.
I told him to tell them "I need --- for a '53 Osca",& wait for long pause.

- Doug

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The mouth-breather at Twilight-Zone insisted on typing 61 TR3 into his computer when I walked in looking for Champion plugs. I had the number but they keep them in the back. (keeping the citizenship-challeneged from five fingering I guess)

I'll be danged if they didn't actually have a TR3 in the model selection screen. Even had the gap listed because the mouth-breather made a big deal about trying to sell me pre-gapped plugs if I wanted to wait for them to special order them (for an extra buck per spark plug).

I gave him my patented "blank stare... blink... blink" and said I was pretty sure I could gap-em myself.