Thread: Ballast resistor to prevent hyperflashing

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ballast resistor to prevent hyperflashing

Iíve shifted over to led positive ground turn signal lights using the original style Lucas flasher. I installed two 5-ohm 50W resistors to ground, one on each side, tapping in at the bullet connectors each side. Iím still getting hyperflashing and no clicking sound at the flasher. The resistors do get warm to the touch, so they are carrying current.
    I pulled the flasher out and checked it with an incandescent 40W bulb, tested sat.
    Iíd have thought 5-ohms would have worked, but evidently not. A 3 or 4-ohm resistor may be needed to induce enough current to trigger the flasher. Anyone have any experience? Jim

TS 44743L ďOĒ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Re: Ballast resistor to prevent hyperflashing

I had a hard time finding flashers that would work correctly with the stock lamps (and my original failed), so I haven't tried a resistor with the stock flasher.

But, spec is 21 watts per bulb, which if I've done my math right, works out to 3.5 ohms. Assuming a 50% duty cycle, that's an average of 20 watts at the resistor, so a 5 watt is going to get VERY hot.
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TR3driver View Post
    I had a hard time finding flashers that would work correctly with the stock lamps (and my original failed), so I haven't tried a resistor with the stock flasher.

But, spec is 21 watts per bulb, which if I've done my math right, works out to 3.5 ohms. Assuming a 50% duty cycle, that's an average of 20 watts at the resistor, so a 5 watt is going to get VERY hot.
    Totally agreeó using 50W! And will order 3.3ohm, 50W resistors straightaway. Jim

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Stevens View Post
    Totally agreeó using 50W! And will order 3.3ohm, 50W resistors straightaway. Jim
    And just for future queries, I ran it with both 5-ohm resistors in parallel (2.5 ohm total) and he blinkers worked fine, so Iím assuming the 3.3ohm ones I just ordered will work out too.
    Somewhat surprised that the 5ohm ones didnít work, but live and learn once again in this humbling hobby!
    image.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I'm using a pair of 6 ohm 50 watt resistors with LEDs only in the rear lamps. Seems to work fine though sometimes the dash indicator flashes rather weakly.

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geo Hahn View Post
    I'm using a pair of 6 ohm 50 watt resistors with LEDs only in the rear lamps. Seems to work fine though sometimes the dash indicator flashes rather weakly.
    No idea why your 6ohm resistors work whilst my 5ohms didnít. That said, the new 3.3ohm ones came and I installed, and the flashers work fine again. on the dash, Iím using an LED bulb there too. Plenty bright!