Thread: BJ8 Fan Belt Change

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BJ8 Fan Belt Change

Changing my fan belt and have not done this is a while. Looks like I need to remove the nut (starting crank nut) on the end of the lower pulley to get the fan belt off.? Any other way to do it.
    thanks
    Last edited by Editor_Reid; 04-04-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Re: fan belt change on BJ8

I donít believe you need to remove that nut. I have never needed to. But it is a PITA to get the belt past the pulley and crossmember. You squeeze it thru by rolling the belt and turning the crank. Watch out for the little pink thingies ( fingers) to not get pinched.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vette View Post
    I donít believe you need to remove that nut. I have never needed to. But it is a PITA to get the belt past the pulley and crossmember. You squeeze it thru by rolling the belt and turning the crank. Watch out for the little pink thingies ( fingers) to not get pinched.

Thanks for the input. That's what it looked like to me also, but I was just hoping someone had a trick to getting off.! It is a bugger! Also changed the water pump which was no fun either!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Getting the old belt off is easy - just cut it. Getting a new one on is the hard part.
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

In order to remove the crank nut, you'd have to remove the radiator, loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine enough to get the belt off anyway.

BJ8 questions: is it the 1/2" belt? Does anyone use those or have they all been converted back to 3/8" belts?

Will the 1/2" belt fit between the crank pulley and crossmember?
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Only BN4s and BN6s have the 3/8" belt (according to Moss, anyway). Changing belt size would require replacing all pulleys, and the 1/2" belt should be stronger and more durable anyway (possible why the 3/8" was superseded). IIRC, I've been able to R&R my BJ8's belt, but it requires twisting and pulling and potentially damaging the belt. Still, easier than pulling the crank pulley nut.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I was incorrect--thanks, Steve--only the later BJ8s have the half-inch belt. OP didn't specify earlier or later BJ8, I think a 3/8" belt wouldn't be much trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Spidell View Post
    I was incorrect--thanks, Steve--only the later BJ8s have the half-inch belt. OP didn't specify earlier or later BJ8, I think a 3/8" belt wouldn't be much trouble.
    My BJ8 had a 1/2" belt, but when I changed the crank damper to the Pro/Race unit I had to change it to a 3/8" belt. I had to change the water pump pulley to 3/8" also, but not for the alternator. Why? Because the alternator already had a pulley for a 3/8" belt and I had been using it with the 1/2" belt for 20 years without noticing it!

I was always able to get the 1/2" belt off between the pulley and cross-member by judicious twisting and tugging, but even that wasn't easy.
    Steve Byers
    HBJ8L/36666
    BJ8 Registry
    Havelock, NC