• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wrinkle krinkle and zinc primer

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Just a warning-- I've been priming/sanding my TR3 using a primer that my body work friends say is pretty compatible with most auto paints (that I'll be eventually going to) but I recently tried Krylon's high zinc auto primer that is supposed to fill scratches, resist rust, etc. Mistake. It make 1/4" "krinkles" in the existing primer! Thank goodness I was mostly finished and doing only spot priming/filling/sanding so I won't have to do much extra work-- but It taught me to keep a little extra piece of metal handy to test primers. I think I'll put some of my existing primer on a chunk of metal and bring it to the body shop when ready for paint, too.. Others have had similar experience?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
This is good to know that there are incompatabilities. But just as a further test, did you try the Krylon primer on a bare piece of metal just to make sure there isn't a problem with that can of paint?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If your doing the grunt work the best thing to do is check with the body shop and ask what kind of paints and primers are best to use with their paint system. They are all different. The solvents are much more aggressive in their mixing systems then over the counter aerosols. Go to an automotive paint store and forget about department store paints. You'll pay a little more but who wants to do it over 2 or 3 times.