• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series What is a MG TD "Gold Seal" Engine?

Gunner

I just bought my newest toy... 1951 MG TD.. I mean extremely original including the original full tonneau, top, original leather interior in great shape, original paint (not great shape). The seller says the TD has a replacement "Gold Seal" engine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gifHow can I tell if that's true? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Gold seal is a factory replacement engine IIRC. Tony knows how to tell if it really is or not.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Gold Seal was the term used for a factory-reconditioned motor. To differentiate them from new engines, they were, literally, painted gold at the factory. If yours doesn't have gold paint on it, then it isn't a gold seal engine.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
If yours doesn't have gold paint on it, then it isn't a gold seal engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless someone repainted it.

Steve_S

Yoda
You should be able to tell by the engine number. I don't remember how they work or where to check, but I do remember someone once discovering their engine was gold seal by the engine number. Perhaps someone has a record of the gold seal numbers on the web?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Even if it's been repainted, I doubt whether someone would go to the trouble to strip the gold off completely prior to recoating. Pick a hard to get at crevice, and scratch the top color. If you see gold, well, I guess you answered the question.
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There are also Gold seal transmissions I am told and they seem to be painted red. sigh..

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
Gunner - As stated by the other posts, the Gold Seal engine was one that was supplied by the factory way back when. It is not a special engine, just a standard XPAG T series engine that was rebuilt by the factory. It wouldn't take many rebuilds, withthe block and head being hot tanked for all of the gold paint to have dissapeared, so searching for remnents of gold paint would not be a reliable way to determine if the engine is in fact a gold seal engine. Steve is correct in saying that the Godl Seal engines have a different serial number from the original engines, but I don't know how the numbering system worked for those engines. Someone in the New England MG T Register <https://www.nemgt.org/> may be able to shed some light on the system. In the meantime, the standard engine numbers are XPAG/TD/99999 or XPAG/TD2/99999, and it can be found on an octagonal plate either on the arch where the bell housing attached to the engine or one attached to the right side crankcase, just below the front carburetor. You will also find the engine number for the original engine that came in the car on the maker's plate on the front of the tool box, drivers side of the car. See the attached file for the interpretation of the plates.

OP
G

Gunner

Thank you, David
I removed the head from my engine because I can't turn the crank. I was told that the engine is a new gold seal engine but hasn't been started in years. The engine looks completely new inside but the pistons are stamped +.040 on top. Does this mean it is bored .040 over? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Gold Seal engines have their own series of numbers...what's yours?

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
+.040 stampped on the top of the pistons indicate a .040 overbore. If you are unable to turn the engine over using the starting crank, the bearings may be rusted to the journals or (more likely) the rings are rusted to the cylinders. I would start by applying a liberal amount of Kroil on the tops of the pistons and letting it run down the sides and soak the rings for several day/weeks. Ultimately, you may have to remove the engine and start disassembling it to get everything loose. Good luck

OP
G

Gunner

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That appears to be a stock XPAG engine....it could be that a dealer rebuilt an engine & put in the car as Gold Seal always had a lettered prefix that was stamped onto the plate.Were it a B-sries engine, it would be easy to identify but not so with the older XPAG's

Really try hard to save it, those engines are becoming more scarce every ay.

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
Sid - Did you take the engine number off of the plate on the engine or from the maker's plate on the front of the tool box? The number that you qouted, 21200, is too high to be from a 51 TD, so I am assuming that it came off of the plate on the engine. If you look closely at the center of the plate, I believe that you will find that the XPAGTD portion actually reads XPAGTD2 (see attached photo) . This would be a late engine (somewhere around late 52 to 53) and will have the longer rocker shaft and the larger, 8" clutch. It will also have the later metalurgy used for the crank, which makes it much less apt to crack. Also, Tony is correct, the engine is not a Gold Seal engine, but being a later engine in the series, it is a better engine than the original, in my opinion.

Attachments

• 193481-EngineNumberTag2.jpg
    193481-EngineNumberTag2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 78
OP
G

Gunner

You are correct, Dave.. My number plate says XPAGTD2 in the center, which is to my advantage, except the numbers don't match the ID plate. The block and number plate say 21200, so this is not a gold seal engine and I'm guessing that's not necessarily better, either. The pan will come off next week and I'll know more about my little purchase.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hey, Sid - I tried to look at your car but the auction link didn't work...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The engine looks completely new inside but the pistons are stamped +.040 on top. Does this mean it is bored .040 over? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif David:- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif