• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Un-seized!

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
When I bought my bugeye, the 1275 engine was seized. I poured some Marvel Mystery oil down the plug holes.... no joy. Later someone suggested PB Blater. After a few days I can now spin it over using the generator pully! woo hoo! Now I can proceed with my plan to get it started. I would really like to access the mechanicals before I pull it apart. YAY!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
PB Blaster = good stuff.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I got an almost free motor for my old Celica. But it was "stuck". The orignal motor was blown (rod exited the block).
Filled the stuck motor with kerosene and let it sit for a week.
Rocked it CW and CCW very gently and.....WaLah! *UNSTUCK*!

Put 100,000 miles on that engine! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

John, if you get it fired up and it won't quit smoking, then probably the rings are welded to the pistons from years of not running, also 1275s are famous for broken rings in motors that have sat around forever, I see it pretty often when taking core 1275 engines apart. You could get lucky, but if not, this will be the two things to look for.

OP
John Moore

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Hap Waldrop said:
John, if you get it fired up and it won't quit smoking, then probably the rings are welded to the pistons from years of not running, also 1275s are famous for broken rings in motors that have sat around forever, I see it pretty often when taking core 1275 engines apart. You could get lucky, but if not, this will be the two things to look for.

Thanks Hap! The long term plan is to rebuild it.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Another one may live! Great job.