• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

stuck/seized distributor--please help!

raybigdog

Freshman Member
I have a 73 MGB, new owner, just bought it in in May. I have a problem--I want to adjust the timing so I'm fiddling with the distributor, but I can't get it to budge. I've loosened the clamp plate bolt, even taken out the 2 bolts that hold the plate to the engine. I've dumped probably half a can of PB blaster on it over several days, tapped it with a hammer etc etc. Can't make it budge at all, in any direction. Anybody got any ideas?

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...Me_0#Post342132

I ran into the same thing hopefully yours is not rust welded in place like mine.

If you can see if you can get to the screw that holds the dist. plate to the block. If it's not rusted in place uscrew that and you should have no problem getting the distributor out. If not bfh and power tools will do the trick.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If the three clamp bolts are loose/out and the thing doesn't budge you likely DO have a rusted in housing. PB and lots of time are helpful. If it runs now, getting it up to temp a few times may help get the penetrant to propagate down the shaft too.

This is something I've come across a few times. Fifty-fifty shot at not buggerin' up the dizzy housing. Take your time, keep applying the Blaster.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
My brother's 1275 Midget is like this right now.

I checked the timing and it's "close enough" so we're leaving it alone.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've used a 50/50 mixture of auto tranny fluid and lacquer thinner. Seems to get into very tight places. Doesn't take much. The thinner will evaporate pretty fast leaving the fluid in place.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ooohh!!! We saw a similar thing Mickey posted recently! 50/50 ATF and acetone! It was tested as better than ALL of the commercial penetrants.

For what it's worth, I'd be out mixin' it up and applyin' it RIGHT NOW! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reminder, Paul!!

OP
R

raybigdog

Freshman Member
Hey guys,thanks for all the input. I tried both magic potions--with the acetone and the laquer thinner. That helped, but what eventually got it loose was a $5 oil filter wrench (from Harbor Freight) that looks like a giant pair of channel lock pliers. I did scratchup the housing pretty good but don't see any serious damage. Think I'm going to box it up and send it to Mr. Schlemmer. Thanks again for your help!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good! Glad you got it out without breaking the casting.

OP
R

raybigdog

Freshman Member
I mixed it in a glass jar just because it was handy. A syringe or eyedropper would have been good for getting in the tight place but didn't have one of those so I used a plastic drinking straw--dip it in, hold your finger over the end and then let go over the target. worked well and didn't melt the straw. The ATF and Acetone seemed to work better than the ATF and thinner.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
where do you buy acetone?
Don't tell me "the acetone store" unless you give me an address too, DOC!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
HOME DEPOT!!!

...surely there's one YOU have an address for. Even Down East ~those~ are near-by. :jester:

*sheesh*

OP
R

raybigdog

Freshman Member
If you have a lady in the house, that might be quickker. I was telling my wife I needed to go to Lowes to get some acetone and she came back in the room and handed me a bottle. Apparently they use it to take off fingernail polish.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And th' polish remover already has some oil added and a better smell!

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
But....some of the nail polish removers don't contain acetone. I don't know what they DO contain...I've used the non-acetone kind to soften/polish plastic golf club ferrules once when I was out of acetone, and it works just the same.

Any hardware store should have acetone in the paint supply dept. I just got a can at Lowes. Now I've gotta remember to get some ATF so I can mix up a batch of the potion....

MGB922

Yes nail polish remover, it's hasty stuff. Be careful mixing it with other chemicals though. Use gloves and in a well ventalated area or asperator. I've also used stuff called break free. I think I got it at Autozone.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Pull that housing out of the block & clean it real good while you've got the dizzy out....do the same with the clamp.

OP
R

raybigdog

Freshman Member
I think the color is Teal Blue, not sure, but that's the closest I can match it on the https://www.teglerizer.com/mgcolors/index.html I'm pretty sure it's the original color.
I sent it to Jeff Schlemmer and had it rebuilt, it's already on the way back, should have it in a couple of days.

Oh, by the way, the stuff I used said it was "100% pure acetone"--Fingernail Polish remover.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
All that matters is it WORKED.

...and Jeff has put it so right you can't get yer hand off'n th' key before it lights off.

:thumbsup: