• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turning brake drums

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I asked a local brake shop if they could turn the rear brake drums on my BT7. He said he could if he could find the specs. I understand there may not be any specs for these drums or a least that's what I've read. If so, what is the solution? These drums have never been turned since new so there should be enough metal to turn them at least once. Any ideas?

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Rob,

There is no specification that I know of, but then, I am no expert. The often misunderstood and misdiagnosed issue of Scuttle Shake has finally fallen to the general consensus of being the result of very badly imbalanced brake drums. This condition has plagued many of us for half a century and I would suggest this to be a good time for you to address both conditions (balancing and cutting your drums). I would suggest you address this situation and call Hendrix (https://www.hendrixwirewheel.com/) if you can't find someone locally for advice. Although this is not an inexpensive service, from my experience it is a condition that should be addressed if you intend to enjoy driving your Healey.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Country flag
I asked a local brake shop if they could turn the rear brake drums on my BT7. He said he could if he could find the specs. I understand there may not be any specs for these drums or a least that's what I've read. If so, what is the solution? These drums have never been turned since new so there should be enough metal to turn them at least once. Any ideas?

Rob,

I tried to get my BJ8's drums turned by a local parts shop that I've bought from for years (they do basic machining as well). They told me there were no specs, and they wouldn't touch them because, in California at least, the (criminal) penalties are severe for anyone who would do this (if they get caught, of course). I have no reason not to believe them, as they've turned drums from other cars for me before.

There's a reason for this law and I wouldn't trust anyone who was willing to do it. Unless the drums are seriously scored I'd just put new shoes in and break them in best you can (maybe a dozen hard stops in reverse, with a cooling period in between). That's what I did and have not experienced any issues; I've found the choice of pads on the front disks has more effect than anything. If the drums are seriously scored you'll just have to spring for new ones. Last I checked, they're hard if not impossible to find, but it's been a few years so they might be available now.

BTW, my drums were balanced and I still have scuttle shake. The other 'consensus' is that wheel and tire truing is the cause (the systemic cause being inherent weaknesses in the chassis and frame).

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

RAC68

Darth Vader
Although I agree with Bob in that the underlying cause of scuttle shake is an inherent weakness in the chassis and frame, I had focused on wheels and tires truing and balancing (including on-car dynamic spin balancing) for a resolution with little success. When finally looking and identifying the substantial imbalance and correction of my drums that my Healey settled down and drove substantially and dramatically better.

Rob, the choice is yours to pursue or not but now is the time and having balanced drums (as with all other cars) won't heart (other then $ expended) . If you replace the drums with new, I have been told that Moss units are also not balanced so I would put it up to the Forum for any correction of my impression.

Good luck,
Ray (64BJ8P1)