• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4 wiper question

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On my TR4 wiper motor, I'm missing the nut and then tubing which the cable to the wipers runs through. In other words I have the motor with drive cable only. Can the tubing be locally sourced? What about the nut which holds the tubing to the motor? Is there something special about the end piece of the tubing?

IMG_1490.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
My recollection (don't have the car here) is that was sort of a compression nut and the end on the tubing had a flare... i.e. the nut wouldn't slide off the tube when it was disconnected.

The tubing may be something you can fabricate from fuel line but that nut is another story -- think you may be calling upon someone with a parts car or trolling evilBay.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
The first bit of tubing has a couple of curves in it and a bell-shaped flange each end so the nut will retain it at the motor end and to position thedriver side wiper gearbox.

I have read you can use ordinary "bundy" pipe as used for brake or fuel lines, and bend it as needed with the cable inside to prevent the wall of the tube from collapsing or kinking. You would then flare the ends with a flaring tube.

Alternatively you may be able to buy these things locally, either new or used.

If all that fails I happen to have a spare tube, and I think nut, though you are not exactly in the neighbourhood!
Simon.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Larry-

It's a crying shame you can't find a good rust bucket parts car for under $1000 - it would be a treasure trove of just these kind of parts. And I think in the long run you'd save a bundle too.

Randy

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think that is the blessing and curse of being out in California - you picked up a great car with your latest purchase but as you aren't living in the rust belt you will have a little harder time getting that donor car..

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Maybe this will help. The tubing may be tricky, especially without the stock pieces to compare. I had my entire dash out a few months back, so naturally I had the tubing out, too. As you probably know, the tubing links into the slots in the wheel boxes. As I recall, the flaring looked fairly simple and could be done with a standard flaring tool, and the tubing appeared to be like simple fuel line.

Someone may correct me, but the tubing seems to do nothing other than hold grease and guide the drive cable. I think that with the wheel boxes in hand, and the measured distance between the two, you could make the tubing with a flaring tool and be just fine.

As for the nut, I'd think that a good shop that carries specialty auto fasteners (like Scott Supply in Tucson, or Arizona Bolt and Nut) might carry it. Moss calls for a ferrel, but I think the tubing was flared at that end, too--it's definitely flared at the wheel boxes because that's how the tubing is held into place.

Hope this helps. If I were you, I wouldn't be afraid to make them on your own. It could be a fun assignment if that nut is available. I suppose the threading could be an issue if it's whitworth. Best of luck.